Chapter 18. - Bonfire

So after all, that Argent woman was right. I haven't talked about our encounter with anyone, nor was I planning to. Brett would freak out, and I don't have time for that.

As I sipped my orange juice, I realised something, who knew hospitals' orange juice could taste so good? Not me. Cause the other day's spinach and cheese omelette, ew. A combination I will never eat again. 

After my brothers had sneaked on me serving some water from Brett and packing some sandwiches for my stay at the hospital, needless to say, they scared the hell out of me; they were acting strangely. Like they knew that I know something. Their secret maybe? I know a lot of things about them, but it never bothered them. 

Then I cuddled with Brett a little, yes I caved. I'm hopeless. After that little cuddling session, I kissed him goodbye so that I could pack a small bag where I put the sandwiches apart from some clothes and some for my mum when she wakes up.

So that leads us to where I'm right now. The hospital. So far I've learned not to criticise that much and appreciate all the work the nurses do. They also are coming to check on my mum more often than I expected they would do, I think that's Melissa's doing.

I limited myself to hold her hand tightly, waiting for a response as I squeezed hers now and then. But there was none.

I was eager for her to wake up, never have I ever felt a need to be this close to my mom, as my dad was always the shoulder I would cry on, the person I'd talk to no matter what was going on in my life, but now that he's gone, I've come to realize that my mom was always there for me too. Maybe she couldn't understand the bond I had with my dad, but she was there too.

I rested my head on over our hands, a tear slipped my eyes, falling over her hand. I whipped it away, still caressing her hand as a mum does to her child. Inspecting her hand I see her engagement ring. She refused to take it off, and I understood why. Even in a few months, my mum hasn't been able to move over dad. And I don't judge her for it, I understand her. If I lost Brett, neither my wolf nor I would be able to move on. His my first love, I've never believed the saying 'A girl never forgets about their first love', until now.

I don't know if my dad was my mum's first love, but he made it clear that he wanted to be her last. It looks like that promise will be kept no matter what. 

I let out a frustrated sigh. My mum needs to wake up and fast. Doctors say that her vitals couldn't be better, but the waking up is all up to her. 

"You need to wake up mum. I need you to wake up, the twins too. We miss you so much. They miss your food mostly as they can't cook to save their lives, but I know that that is another excuse not to show their emotional side they've been hiding ever since dad passed. So please wake up soon." I murmured placing a chaste kiss on her forehead that had a few droplets of sweat.

Giving her hand a last squeeze, I was about to stand up when I suddenly felt pressure on it. 

"I didn't do that." I squeaked. Could it have been...? 

Then it happened again. A more firm squeeze to my hand. 

"Mum?" I murmured full of hope, my eyes lighting up.

"Danielle?" Came to her hoarse voice, I've missed that voice so much.

I leapt and engulfed her in a hug, careful not to crush her thorax area, receiving a groan out of pain in response. I quickly retreated and sat on the chair that was placed next to her hospital bed with the hugest grin you could imagine plastered on my face with some tears of happiness running down my cheeks. 

Her eyes were open now, and she was looking me with so much love that I haven't received from her ever since dad passed. That's mainly the reason why I'm crying, apart from her being awake.