Chapter 1. - Moving

Danielle's P.O.V

I was in Chemistry class, which is the most stereotypical class you can think of. Double tables, cupboards stuffed with substances and other things which I never got to chance to catch the name of, and also over our desks there were artifacts such as distillation equipment, beakers, ungraduated cylinders, pairs of goggles, gloves, and much more.

Mixing some things on my own because my lab partner is fighting for the title of the most curious individual on planet Earth and wants to know what would turn out if he mixed alcohol and potassium permanganate — although he already knows what would happen because he saw it in a Youtube video. Hello? Basic chemistry! That pair react and blast! Sorry, I'm a bit nerdy. My parents enrolled me in every AP class they could find. Although it is my choice to remain in those classes at the end of the day, I ended up loving all of them, so it is partly my fault.

My teacher stands at the classroom's door talking to the principal, an old, heavyset, and bald man, who now and then glanced my way, but quickly returned to what he was previously doing. Saying that I was getting uncomfortable is an understatement. My heart started beating faster; have I done something wrong?

Then, my teacher, Ms White calls me to go outside. When I ask her why, she says my mother required me and she asked for permission to take me out for the day. The principle accepts this kind of thing once in a blue moon, seeing as he is very strict; but he did.

I am terrified now.

I placed my notebook inside my backpack, zipped it and put the strap over my right shoulder. Then, I was out of the class not before catching a glimpse of Ms White's pity look. "Why?" I think to myself.

As soon as I storm out of the class, something catches my arm and drags me into an empty classroom. I was ready to scream, but Brett, turned me around with a worried expression on his face.

"What's wrong? You're so scared, I could also feel it from the locker room... Did someone do something to you? Because I'll—"

"No, Brett, nobody hurt me." I stop his rambling.  "Just look at me," I turn his face trying to calm him down; I could sense himself turning. "I'm okay... see? Nothing happened. My mum just wants to see me for an unknown reason," I explain.

He sighs, the slight glow of his eyes dimming. "I believe you, just— you were so scared that I could feel it."

"No worries, now, big boy, I gotta go," I say patting his shoulder.

"No goodbyes?" He says sadly and pouts.

"I think I have something better," I stand close to him wrapping my arms around his neck and kiss him softly; he returns it quickly encircling his arms around my waist not wanting to let go.

Slowly breaking the kiss in need of air, he states, "Well, don't make your mum wonder where you are, text me later."

"Sure. Go back to your lacrosse practice, the game is in four days. They need their best player back." I give him a small wink.

Heading to the parking lot, my mum's blue car is waiting for me right in front of the school doors. Opening the car's door, my mom greets me with a sympathetic smile that tells me straight away why she wanted me out of school today — we have been having some money problems, since she is the breadwinner for four people, three of which are teenagers, and she got dismissed since the clinic she worked in had to close, and there were not any good job opportunities around here. Therefore, her only idea was to move to a close town, but it was just an idea, or so I thought... "Hey sweetie, we need to talk..." she starts. There is no need to sugarcoat it, mom.

"Mom, we're moving, aren't we?" I deadpan, a blank look taking over her face.

She sighs, "Is it too obvious?" she questions hitting her head with the sterling wheel, slowly pressing the horn, making me flinch and try to cover my ears as the pitched noise reached my sensitive eardrums.