Chapter 12. - Mating

Danielle's P.O.V

My body was now in pain, whilst my mind was trying to find some sort of place where it could be in peace. What is the meaning of peace right now? Being without any kind of pain? If I could only close my eyes and make it all go away, I can't even describe how grateful I'd be.

The thing is... that right now, my eyes are closed and I wasn't at peace. I was far from it.

My body shut down itself, I don't really know why. Maybe it was a better way to heal. I'll never understand this supernatural and its ways.

Brett is very worried, I could feel his preoccupation reaching my numb body. It felt like a tsunami of worry was embracing my body and I was about to drown. Another sign was his voice, like now:

"Open your eyes Elle, please, come on; I can't lose you..." He cried, sobs echoing through my room. A single drop of a liquid substance fell over my left cheek. Given the circumstances I guess it was a tear. I was making him cry, I feel like the worst person in the world right now; I was bringing pain to my own mate.

He softly pressed the damp cloth to my forehead and dragged it a bit down my temples.

I wanted to open my eyes, I tried and tried, but they just wouldn't. Why?

"Your finger twitched..." He muttered with joy. Did it? I didn't feel it. Now, my body was taken from the soft surface of my mattress, and placed into a sitting position, my back resting against a hard rock wall. It moved. Wait, walls don't move.

My back was to Brett's chest and he hugged me with dear life while mumbling some pleads. My body decided to start hearing about them and slowly started moving, making it clear to Brett that I was conscious enough to hear his words.

He turned me around, not doubting his action for even a second, placed me in his lap, and waited, and waited for more. I could feel him holding his breath and was able to release it after my eyes shot open and I started choking. Something extremely rare as my throat felt as if it was swallowing sharp razor blades with every a cough.

Brett's face was filled with relief once I opened my eyes, at the same time, his thumbs came closer to my eyes and whipped away tears that I hadn't noticed that had formed and dripped from my eyeballs.

"Shhhh, you're okay. Again." he cooed, I let out a small chuckle as I recalled that he had said the exact same words once he saw me earlier.

"It was horrible, dark and silent, I prefer to be here and not healed than there and not able to wake up... Don't let me go there again please" I begged and wasn't able to retain the tears in my eyes, the pain inside my body incremented making everything ten times difficult.

"I won't. Nothing will hurt you while you're with me. I promise..." Brett whispered in my ear, his minty breath fanning my ear easing the pain my body was experimenting. It seemed so easy to him. How did he do that? Right after he brought himself up from his current position, the heat radiating from his body left my side and the pain started to build up inside of me again.

Does this have something to do with the mate thing we have going on? If so, please somebody help me.

▼▲▼▲

Shots of pain, in all sort of types, were all I felt. Waves, shots, even painful needle-like stings. And to make matters worse Brett had to be holding me through all of it.

I'm lucky to have him, I wanted nothing more than to go back to the beginning where we were just the two of us, fooling around, not caring about these assassins and their ways of killing our kind painfully.