Chapter 26 .- The Change

"What the hell happened?" Asked a very intrigued Stiles as he entered the now shattered and messy loft. The candle wax stained the floor and Breaden was whipping the pieces of broken glass with a broom.

"It was supposed to be a date." The former Alpha clarified.

"They were both here?" Stiles asked amused. The place looked like it had been robbed. 

"And they are both gone."

Stiles' phone goes off, he started talking with Lydia who was at the animal clinic with Deaton. "So Where are Scott and Kira?" He questioned, worried for his best friend. 

"Mexico. And if you wanna save his life, that's where you're going too." Deacon stated, he had been there when he visited Valak, at first he couldn't quite tell where he was but he then realized that this trip could cost the life of one of these teenagers.

"Stiles?" Lydia asked with a weak voice. "Yeah?" Was his response.

"They aren't alone. Danielle is with them too..." 

He had a call to make. 

▼▲▼▲

Danielle's POV

My head hurts. I feel like a truck hit me and the first thing it made contact with was my face. Wait. No truck hit me, no, Kate Argent did with that stupid gun of hers. 

Particles of dust fell over my face and when I tried to swipe them away my hand couldn't move. It was bound to the platform made of rock I was laying over. I tried tugging at my wrist but it wouldn't budge, not even with my alpha force. 

I let a frustrated sigh as my wrists screamed in pain due to the friction caused by the cuffs, where under lay red marks from my tugging and moving. 

"Where am I?" I thought, no longer was I in the woods near my home, but this place looked very old, with wooden furniture scattered all over the place, the air no longer held that earthy smell, but more like death. 

What I asume once were windows had cracks in the painted glass, the artwork now ruined. Hand painted windows... could this be a-

But before I could conclude my idea someone beat me to it and gave me the answer I was searching for. "La Iglesia, pretty isn't it? Or it used to be, nowhere in Mexico it's been abandoned for a while and that makes the perfect hideout." The voice sounded closer with each word, the scrapping of boots against the ground perked my senses. Kate entered the room I was in and started circling around me. Like analyzing her prey. 

She said that we were in Mexico? How did we get here? I need to go home, mom and the twins are waiting for me. Oh no, mom must've freaked out when she didn't see me when she got home. 

I desperately tried to break free once again, ignoring the protests of my wrists and the burning sensation that came from them. 

"Tell me Danielle, how did a 16 year old become one of the most wanted alphas in the dead pool? Huh?" She asked curiously. Her animalistic features hidden, but I could see that beneath the human appearance a malicious beast waited to come out. 

"The dead pool is over Kate, why am I here?! Let me go!" I screamed and moved around, but to no avail. 

"You are very special, haven't you ever thought of that? In your first months as a new student, you get accepted into Scott McCall's pack. You never lost your alpha status. Like you know that that isn't where you'll end up. There's a pack waiting for you to take the lead..."

"Scott is a very good person better than you, so if you won't let me go at least tell me why you brought me across the country to another!" 

"You shouldn't talk like that to your superior Danielle, those aren't very good manners." Superior? What is she talking about? She's not superior to me. I'm an alpha and for all I know she is a were-jaguar that commands the berserkers. She's delirious.

"You are no superior of mine. I'm the alpha here." I growled but then hissed when my wrists screamed at me.

"Not for long... haven't you heard the story of the alpha and the slave?" The only way to strip me  of my title would be either me giving it to her voluntarily or her killing me. 

"Long ago, an arrogant alpha bragged about how much power he had yet he was always looking for ways to increment it. He had killed thousands, villages, only leaving a few survivors to pass on the message to neighbouring villages that he was the strongest and nobody could beat him. One day, while walking through the local market a slave offered him a necklace, saying that it would even make the Lord kneel in front of him and beg for mercy. That necklace, also known as "Tiangus" was said to be the rebellion of the slaves to the kings, they could have control over the person that wears it, and they would obey their every command. 

The cocky alpha couldn't resist the offer, and being power-driven he didn't think twice before he snapped it around his neck. Until the day of his death he was turned into a slave and all those that once were below him became something more. They were like his alphas." She finished the tale and a shiver run down my spine. 

"How is that even possible?" I muttered out of breath. If someone was able to get many alphas under his or her control that could cause a massacre in seconds. 

"Just like alphas can become betas, and omegas can rise up and become alphas. Just that this time enchanted elements are used. And look what I have here..." A dangly object was brought close to my face. The leather strings lead to a shiny rock that reflected the moonlight that cast upon it left an interesting shadow. Still, you could see how the centre part of the rock held that bad it could cause. How in the wrong hands it could cause evil and destroy an innocent soul.

"Many people had used it before. They say they feel like a puppeteer..." She said looking at the stone intrigued.

"What are you planning to do with it?" I was afraid of the worst. Could she use it on me? 

"I'm going to use it to end once and for all the group of teenagers that put their noses where it's not wanted." She deadpanned, leaning closer to my ear and whispered the words that sent a couple of shivers down my spine. She meant no good.

"What does it have to do with me?" I murmured. 

"It has everything to do with you! You are the perfect weapon, not only is it going to hurt them the most once you and Scott end them, but when you finish I'll have your power and you'll be nothing, just a body lying on the floor next to your deceased friends and that mate of yours." The thought that terrified me the most was imagining Brett dead. His body lying lifelessly on the cold floor. She couldn't do this to me. I can't let her.

Nobody would harm Brett nor my friends on my watch. 

"That's where you're wrong." I must've said that aloud. 

She then circled around me one more time and she unclipped the necklace once she reached my head. "No, Kate, please!" I pleaded as her hands started getting close to my neck.

She had an evil smirk plastered on her face and I started struggling and moving around but I was refrained and I couldn't stop her hands from clasping the necklace around her neck. 

It was cold, and suddenly and heat started spreading from my neck to all my body. Almost like acid spreading through my veins. I couldn't hold back the screams leaving my mouth, my vision got blurry and a retreating figure was all I could see. 

The pain was getting more unbearable and I could feel the stone digging into my skin almost. My screams were getting louder and my wolf was howling in my head. It felt like my head was getting crushed and my wolf was getting thrown into the deepest parts of my mind. 

And then, everything went quiet.