Chapter 8 Lilac

Sorry guys, I just had a hectic month of projects and tests, so I couldn't find time to update. Good news is, we just started spring break, therefore I'll be able to upload as much as I want for the next five day.

As a response to tinnyhi's question in the last chapter, I think you'll understand it in this chapter. If not, ask me any time.

Gabus was acting quiet today; so quiet that Era was starting to worry. Although the fox still played around all day, it never spoke again, even if she asked questions it'll just turn it's head away. This was very concerning and - she would never admit - lonely.

"What are you doing?" a little girl asked, snapping Era out of her thoughts. She was lying on a stone bench this afternoon, enjoying the sun as she watched the little fox playing around with her tails. "Oh, just thinking about something," she instinctively replied.

Wait, little girl?

Turning her head around, she searched for the source of the voice.

The garden was empty, however, and Era felt her skin crawl at that thought.

"What are you looking for?" the 'little girl' asked again, and this time - it might be her imagination - the voice seemed to be coming from Gabus.

"Were you talking?" she asked uncertainly. The little fox nodded its head, but then shook it again, "No, I'm not talking to you. You are always scolding me for no reason at all."

"What?"

But as if to emphasize its point, the fox refused to talk anymore, its head turned stubbornly to the side.

Era felt her thought starting to jumble. She had always assumed that the fox was a male monster as a result of its voice; but judging by the voice, this fox was a female, not a male, and even if it is a male, it was definitly not the voice she heard before.  Then...who was the voice before? That person must have used a spell to lock the fox's voice and, not wanting expose his or her location, communicated with her telepathically, for thoughts in the mind don't have a sense of direction nor distance.

"Wait, let me get this straight. Before today, you've never spoken a word?" she confirmed. The fox nodded, but seeming to realize what she was doing, she stopped and remained still.

"Okay then, I apologize for the scoldings," Era said, but all received was a huff. Alright, this fox has an attitude, she'll just have to be patient with it. After all, even if she didn't know, she still said a lot of harsh things at the fox for things she didn't say.

"I'm really sorry, okay? How about this, as a token of my apologies, I'll buy you something nice."

This time, finally, the little fox looked at her with big bright eyes.

"Really? Anything?"

 "Anything within reasonable price," she quickly added, feeling as if she's been tricked.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go!" the little fox squeeled excitely, jumping onto Era's shoulder in the process.

Era smiled. This was definitely one she could tolerate.

"By the way, what's your real name? I figured it isn't Gabus," she asked the little fox on her shoulder as she spreaded her wing in preparation to take flight.

"It's Lilac."