Chapter 13 Argument

Era was fuming the next day. 

Really, was it that hard to stay at home while she went to school? She didn't think so, but apparently, Lilac found it hard. That was the only reason why the little fox appeared in her sack when she was supposed to be back home.

"So Lilac," said Era while her brow twitched in anger. "Why are you here?"

"Because it's boring to stay at home," the little fox complained, completely oblivious to the fact that she was in mortal danger. In fact, for the past couple of minutes, Era had to constantly fight the urge to throw the sack out the the window which was ten stories high and was only stopped because she was in the middle of a class.

Keeping her anger in check, she seethed: "We agreed that if we were going to the forest today, you would stay at home."

Lilac, finally sensing something wrong, looked at Era with her large eyes.

"Since you didn't keep your promise, I don't see a reason for me to keep mine," Era finally stated.

"What?! No!"

"Keep your voice down!"

"But- but-"

"No buts, we're not going to the forest," Era said firmly, causing Lilac to cry. Thick droplets of tears flowed down her fluffy cheeks, and her tails drooped. "But I just wanted to stay with you," she whispered.

Era felt her heart soften at those words. To be quite honest, Lilac hadn't caused that much of a trouble, despite the fact that she came out without her permission nor disguise. If it wasn't because she happened to hear the slight whimper after she slammed the sack on her desk and thoroughly rummaged it through, she doubted she  would be able to find Lilac, let alone other Angels.

"Alright, I'll give you one more chance," she sighed.

"Really?" Lilac's ears perked up.

"Yes, but no more second chances."

"Thank you, Era! You're the best!"said Lilac as she began to playfully nudge Era's hand.

Giggling, Era  quickly shushed  the little fox when she noticed that she had drawn her teacher's attention.

"Ms. Swan? Is there something wrong?"

All eyes turned to her.

"Um... No! Nothing is wrong!" Era quickly replied, berating herself for forgetting that she was in one of the school's strictest teacher's class. Stupid.

"Really? Because I seemed to hear laughter when there was nothing funny in my class."

"I-" she wanted to begin, but was stopped by the penetrating glare she was receiving. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

The teacher humphed disapprovingly. "Just because you're a top student doesn't mean you can slack off," she said. "Now, please summarize what I just said."

"Yes," she complied, and without even glancing at the book, Era began reciting what she revised a few weeks ago.