18th August 2042

HEY GUYS!

QUICK MESSAGE FROM YOUR GIRL AVERY!

I'M GOING TO START SHOUTING OUT PEOPLE'S BOOKS THAT I'VE READ AND LIKED ON EVERY CHAPTER! MESSAGE ME ABOUT YOUR BOOK, I'LL READ A FEW CHAPTER THEN I'LL SHOUT YOU OUT IF I LIKE IT!

TODAY'S SHOUTOUT GOES TO:

alessandracalvin who is a start up author from England. She's mega talented and she only got her account yesterday!

She's writing a book that's so cute so far I want to squeal. If you like John Green; she's the female version of him!

Read her books guys!!!!!

The photo is irrelevant I ju

I lie there in bed, watching as Harper put her clothes back on. We didn't have sex, we just slept together. I don't know why we took our clothes off. I think because we had been apart so long, we wanted to get as close as we could. Harper wasn't ready for sex, and I understand that. I wasn't going to pressure her. Real men who love their partner's don't force them into anything. She looked at me, smiling slightly.

"I have to ask you something." I sighed, sitting up. The room was pitch black, the only light coming in from the hall light which shone through under the door.

"Shoot." She smiled, pulling her pants up.

"Did you kill Jackson?" I tried to say it sounding normal, but half way through my voice cracked. She looked over at me, pausing between grabbing her armoured vest off the bed.

"What?" she said quietly.

"I was just wondering." I smiled. "Did you kill him?"

"Did I kill Jackson?" She asked. "Of course I didn't."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes." She nodded.

"Okay." I said. "It's just I know you wouldn't lie to me, so I believe you."

"That's right." She put her shirt on, zipping it up at the front. I scoffed, getting out of bed and grabbing my boxers. I put them on, reaching for my pants next. "Where are you going?" she asked.

"Back to my room." I said. "It's wrong for trainers to be fraternising with their students."

"But -"

"You're lying to me." I interrupted, grabbing my shirt. "You killed Jackson and I know you did."

"I did not kill Jackson, how dare you accuse me -"

"Vixen saw you." I pulled my shirt on. I reached for my jacket, sliding my arms in. "She saw you and you still continue to lie to me." I ran my fingers through my hair, walking to the door that separated our rooms. I grabbed the handle, pulling it open, but Harper pushed on it, making it slam.

"Fine." She said, leaning against the door. "I - killed Jackson."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"I thought you would tell Antoinette." She gulped. "I couldn't even trust myself after I did it."

"You said I wasn't human because I killed Wren."

"I know." She nodded. "I did a bad thing, and I've come to terms with it now."

"You killed a group member." I scoffed. "You've come to terms with it?"

"I'm sorry Luis."

"You can't say that to me." I shook my head. "You have to apologise to Antoinette."

"I can't even look at her." she bit her lip. "I took her brother away from her."

"Which is why she needs to know." I said. "I can't be with you until you tell her."

"Luis -"

"I'm serious Harper." I interrupted. "I can't look at you the same unless I know you're honest."

"I am honest."

"Not to her." I said. "You're hiding behind a wall, and you need to break it. What you're doing is not okay. Don't ever think she deserves to be in the dark, just because you're a coward."

"I am a coward." She nodded.

"You are." I said. "And I can't be in love with a coward."

+++

I walk beside Harper in the halls. She's once again the mute, unresponsive Maddox. We're going to the first day of training. To be honest, I'm not too excited for Harper to be training me. She's a really good shot, hitting the bullseye every single time. Me on the other hand, not so much. I'm good at fighting, but I don't want to fight her. I don't know what else we'll be doing in training, but I remember Harper saying it's hard.

I stared at the floor, not paying attention when Harper pushed me aside into an alley way. I looked over to her, shocked. I hadn't expected her to do that.

"What's wrong?" I said.

"You can't love me in there." she shook her head frantically.

"What?" I scoffed.

"I'm one of the best fighters in here. They're going to make you verse me."

"So?" I interrupted.

"I can't go easy on you." she said.

"Once again, so?" I asked.

"I don't want to hurt you." she shook her head. I scoffed, crossing my arms.

"You're not going to hurt me." I said.

"Luis." She said, making me look into her eyes. "I'm the person people don't want to fight. I've put people in the hospital."

"I've got one thing to say." I stopped her, putting one hand on each of her arms. "Bring it on."

"I knew you would say that." She smiled. "You have to let go of me."

"Right." I said, taking my hands off her. She turned, walking back into the hall steel lined hall. I heard a door open behind us, and I turned to see Amelia coming out of a room, a girl following her. She nodded, telling me that she was okay.

"Training is messed up." Harper said, making me face forward again. "Avery makes you face real life situations, not just practicing. You'll have to fight a Lurker."

"A real one?" I asked.

"Yes." She nodded. She turned her arm so her wrist was pointing to the roof. "That's how I got this." I looked down at her wrist. Her skin was lumpy, like her skin had been torn away then put back on. "I was bit."

"What happened after?" I asked, taking my eyes off it.

"I blacked out and then I woke up and my wrist was all stitched up. It was pretty messy and they didn't bother to do it neatly so it turned out like this." she said as the door in front of us opened. Max and his trainer - the guy from the hospital - stepped out of the room.

"Maddox." The man said.

"Jake." She smiled softly at him. He had a crew cut, his hair that short from a far he looked bald. He has stubble lining his long jaw. I've never seen him look happy, he always looks like he wants to kill you; that's just how his face sits. "Max is it?" she pretended not to know him.

"Yes it is." He looked so confused. "Maddox?"

"Yes." She smiled. "Jake this is Luis."

"Hi." I said awkwardly. Jake just nodded at me, crossing his arms.

"Let's stop doodling and go to training." Jake grumbled turning and walking off. Max rolled his eyes, following his trainer down the hall. Harper and I continued to walk down the hall. After about a minute of silent walking, we reached two big steel doors at the end of the hall, in which Jake opened both in one swift movement.