10th September 2042

Harper

I sit at the table, pushing the slush my family call food around in my plate. They were all out helping and I was stuck at home. I had been helping with the crops every day for a week so they're making me have a day off. Chicago's food supply had become low since we got back. They had let so many survivors in when we were gone that we've had to build houses on crops.

So now I'm forced to eat rotten bananas which could be years old, blended into mush with boiled oats and powdered milk. I put a spoonful in my mouth, trying not to taste it. That's when I heard it; the gunfire, and lots of it. I frowned, standing up and walking to the window just in time to see Luis bursting through my front gate.

"Harper!" He was yelling so loud I could hear him from inside. I ran to the door, unlocking it just as he got up the front step.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"We're being invaded." He said. "Someone is driving Lurkers to our gates."

"Who would do that?" I asked.

"I don't know." He shook his head. "Grab your things, we're evacuating."

"Evacuating?" I scoffed as he walked past me and into my house. "We can't; Chicago is the last safe zone in America."

"It's not safe anymore." He said, running up my stairs. I followed him into my room where he had a bag and had started shoving my clothes in.

"We seriously can't just leave this place." I said.

"We're not." He shook his head. "You and your family are. I'm staying behind to fight."

"Wait what?"

"I have to help hold them off." He said. I scoffed, snatching my bag off him. He looked up, confusion crossing across his face.

"You're not serious?" I asked.

"We don't have time to have a fight right now Harper." He snatched the bag back off me. "Just get any valuables."

"I'm not leaving." I said.

"Yes you are." He sighed. I rolled my eyes, walking over to my cupboard. I pulled it open, removing the backboard to show my gun collection. I pulled out my rifle and small bag of ammo. "What are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm fighting."

"No you're not." He snapped.

"If you're fighting I am." I said.

"Harper please don't argue with me." He groaned.

"If you fight I fight."

"Harper -"

"If you go, I go." I interrupted. "That's the deal."

"There's no deal."

"Yes there is." I nodded.

"Well I'm not letting you stay." He shook his head.

"Then you're not staying."

"But -"

"The people fleeing need a leader Luis." I interrupted. "You'll be better off coming with us."

"But I want to fight." He said. "I need to fight."

"There are plenty of people who will be fighting." I said, "Just come with us. Keep your family safe." I added. He looked up at me, a crease between his brows.

"Fine." He gave in. "But you have to help me get everyone out."

"Of course." I nodded. I helped him pack my things, then I left my house for the last time, my steps a metre behind his. 10 minutes later Luis and I stood with Amelia, leading everyone out of Chicago the back way through the underground tunnels.