12th October 2049

Harper

I stand by the gate, waiting for Molly to get here. She is just collecting her rifle and 2 barrel handgun. That was our gun allowance for the 2 day trip out; plus 5 rounds of ammo each. I look back to see Molly running towards me to catch up.

"The plan?" I asked as she reached me.

"We go into as many houses as we can, collecting as much food as we can. If we find anything else that is valuable, we take it. But this run is basically for food only." She said breathless from the run.

"And only use the guns on Lurkers if we need to." I said, and she nodded. I unlocked the many latches on the gate, pushing it to the side. I then unlocked the wooden part of the gate, pushing it open so I could walk out onto the street.

"Back before sundown tomorrow." Molly said as she followed me out.

"Got it." I nodded. We ran across the road and into the bushes we were kept our jeep. I pulled the camouflage cover over it off and dropped it onto the ground. We covered it in case a group came past and saw. The jeep was the best carrier so we needed it.

"I'm driving." Molly said. I rolled my eyes, silently cursing her for calling that. Whoever isn't driving sits in the tray and makes sure nothing follows us. I gripped the edge of the tray, pulling myself up and over it. My gun made a loud bang sound as it hit the metal floor. I slid across the back window so I could talk to Molly.

"Hey Molly -"

"I saw you cut your hair." She interrupted as she started the engine.

"I needed a change apparently." I ran my fingers through it.

"I like it." She sighed. Molly was not one to talk to me about having good hair. My hair compared to hers is like comparing horse shit to gold, it's just plain stupid. Her hair was white gold like Margo's, but somehow nicer.

"At least someone does." I sighed to myself. She pulled out of the bushland and onto the road. I grabbed the rope and pulled it across myself, tying it at either end. I used it as a seatbelt so I didn't go flying off. We drove for a few hours, going out of Philadelphia. It took us 4 hours to get to Pittsburgh.

"This will do." Molly said as she pulled into a driveway. She drove into the garage, getting out and closing the garage door. "We'll sleep here."

"Don't you want to hit a few houses before we settle down?" I asked, jumping out of the tray.

"No I want to sleep." She sighed, leaving me to go inside. I watched as she snuck in, her gun pointed waiting for someone to jump out. I followed in behind her, my gun in my hand loosely beside me. There was no one in this house. Here is how I know why.

1) The door was unlocked. If anyone was in there, they'd have locked the door to keep anyone or anything out.

2) The garage door was open, like I pointed out in number 1, you'd have closed it like Molly did to keep everyone out.

3) There's a lot of blood on the floor, and any sane person such as myself would've saw that and thought bad news and ran, but Molly on the other hand didn't even notice it.

"Do you think it'll have food?" I asked, walking past her and into the kitchen.

"Nah." She sighed. "This house has been looted."

"How could you tell?" I asked sarcastically. "From the blood on the floor or the fact that every door in this house is unlocked?"

"Just get some sleep smarty pants." She scoffed. I smiled at her, walking up the stairs. I found a bedroom and walked in, finding the bed to be covered in objects that had been torn out of the cupboard, probably while people were looting it.