16th October 2049

I sit on the couch, my head in my hands as my eyes slowly drop down. I shake my head, snapping them both open. Across from me, Luis lies on the ground trying to get some rest. He took the shift through the night, so I thought I would do the right thing and let him sleep.

I loved him. I hated to admit it, but watching him lie there so innocently – even with what he's done in his past – makes my heart ache with adoration. It's Luis – it's always Luis. Even after everything he's done, I can't help but feel this love for him that I know I'll never feel for anyone else.

Uriah and I were too good to be true. We were too perfect. But Luis and I aren't too good to be true, we're just good. For you see, every day I love him more than today, more than yesterday and less than tomorrow because I know that with every day I'm in his presence he'll do something that makes my heart beat quicken.

Like yesterday when we had sex. The way his fingers felt every inch of my skin gave me a type of butterflies I never had with Uriah. He made me feel like he wanted – like he needed me. Like I was water and he was the desert. The way he kissed my neck, shoulders and arms made me feel adored and the way he said my name made me want him more than I ever had before.

But when he told me about my father those feelings went away – temporarily. For a moment I realised there was a dangerous side to Luis that I had been trying to forget about. But I remembered Luis before everything happened – Mayor Luis of Chicago. The humane Luis and I remembered that he would never have turned into the person he is today unless he needed to. Unless I needed him to.

And with that I found myself still in love with him.

"You can sleep if you want?" He sighed over the loud groaning and banging of the Lurkers outside. I looked over to him, smiling softly. "I can tell you're tired."

"You need to sleep." I said. He groaned as he sat up, clutching his back. "Don't get up."

"I want to." He said as he got to his feet, padding softly over to me. He reached out, grabbing my hands and pulling me off the couch into his arms. Then he started to sway back and forth.

"Dancing?" I smiled, tucking my head into his shoulder and closing my eyes.

"Wise men say," He began to sing; Luis had the softest, sweetest voice I had ever heard, "Only fools rush in, but I can't help, falling in love with you."

"Your Mum used to sing that to you, didn't she?" I whispered into his shoulder.

"Every night until I was 13." He said. I sometimes forgot I lived with Luis until I was 15, my room directly across from his. I used to hear his Mum singing it to him before he went to sleep, but one night she just stopped. I never knew why.

"She had a lovely voice." I said. He chuckled softly, his arms around my waist tightening.

"I miss her

"I miss her." He sighed loudly. Talking about his parents was hard for me – seeing as my Father is the reason they're dead. If he hadn't killed them; Grey and Alex would be alive right now and Luis wouldn't be missing them.