17th October 2049 - FINAL CHAPTER

We walked for what seemed like a lifetime, but in reality only a few hours. Luis held my hand the entire way, no matter how clammy they were. I was nervous, scared, worried and concerned all at once only because of one thing; I had no fucking clue what was going to be behind that wall.

When we reached the wall I was forced to let go of Luis's hand because I was shaking that bad. He looked at me all the time, the same worried look on his face. You know, the one where he pouts his lips out and has a small crease between his brows. I knew he wasn't pitying me, but it felt like it.

"I'll help you out." He leaned against the wall, putting his hand out to lift me over. I walked over to him stiffly, nervously putting my foot into his palm. "Something smells weird." He said as he pushed up, allowing me to swing my leg over.

"You might want to get over quickly." Mason said to Luis. I took my eyes away from him, hesitantly looking out over the camp. My heart dropped.

"W-What?" I stuttered as I looked out over what used to be the camp. Now it was dust. Completely ash. The only thing left was the metal frames of the tents and furniture.

"Harper wait for me

"Harper wait for me." Luis said, but I ignored him, swinging my leg over and dropping to the ground, stirring the black coal beneath my feet. I looked around at the faces of the minimal people standing around, recognising none of them as my siblings or parents.

"Margo!" I shouted, the survivors looking over to me. "Sam! Dylan!"

"Harper – shit." Luis must've just seen the camp and its entirety.

"Mum! Dad!" I yelled, the pain in my chest hurting more and more every second I didn't get a reply. "MARGO!" I screamed desperately.

"Harper stop." Mason called from behind me.

"Where are they?" I looked back at him to see him pursing him lips. He was lying. He was lying. There was no way – no possibility they didn't make the fire. It's a fire; surely they could get out. They're smarter than that – they had to be.

"Harper look -"

"Don't." I shook my head. I could feel my face getting hot as my eyes began to water. "Don't say it."

"We didn't want to be the one telling you." Harrison mumbled.

"You didn't need to tell me." I said as I broke my first tear; but I refused to cry. I couldn't show weakness when everyone expects me to be strong and show my strength. "So everyone is – gone?" I asked.

"From what we know, yes." Mason nodded. I watched as Harrison turned, looking back at a frame of a tent that used to stand there, and I knew it was my tent. And I knew Margo was sleeping in there.

"She's there, isn't she?" I asked Harrison, who looked back at me.

"You should go see for yourself." He nodded slightly.