27th August 2042

I draw myself a cold bath, stripping from my heavy clothing and leaving it on the floor of the bathroom. I step into it, the coldness sending my feet numb. I lower myself down, trying to breathe steadily as the coldness envelopes my body.

I slide down so my chin is just above the water, my mind as numb as my body was. My body hurt; I don't know whether it was from fatigue or the fact that the cold water was making my overworn muscles twitch.

I slide down a bit more until my mouth is underwater and now my nose is what I'm using to breathe. I could do it you know, go completely under. It wouldn't be that hard to drown myself, it would just be like back in Columbus in the tanks. I also don't have the chip, lucky me I guess.

It'd be a lot easier too rather than being bit by a Lurker. That's painful and you turn into one of them if no one has the guts to shoot you. It'd be a lot less painful and better for your family. I'd die on my own circumstances. I like that idea.

I grip the sides and push myself under, opening my eyes and looking up at the ceiling. It's not bad at first, kind of like swimming. You know when you're little and you see how many laps of the pool you can do while holding your breath? Like that.

That feeling lasts for about 17 seconds before my lungs began to burn. I swallowed, but my mouth was beginning to get dry. My arms holding onto the edge and pushing down was the only thing that was holding me down; but my arms became weak when the image of Harper appeared above me.

"What are you doing?" She asked. I just stared at her, begging myself to ignore my own imagination. "Luis, answer me!" She yelled, but I closed my eyes. It had been a minute now, and I couldn't feel my legs. "Luis please!"

It felt like I was floating. There was no longer pain, just light-headedness. It felt like I was on gas. The burning in my lungs was gone, the need to breathe was gone. But Harper wasn't gone; why wasn't she going?

"Luis!" I felt someone grab the bottom of my neck, pulling me up out of the water and into sitting position. I gasped for air, bent over my legs, clutching my stomach. I needed air, but I couldn't get enough. Every breath I took didn't seem to work.

"H-Help." I gasped, looking beside me to see Harper kneeling beside the bath. I wasn't imagining her; she was actually there. Her hand went onto my back, making circles, trying to calm me.

"Luis what were you trying to do?" She scolded as I took deep breaths. I looked at the bottom of the bath, my eyes closed. "I can't believe this."

"I don't need you." I snapped, taking her hand off my back. It was only then I realised I was completely nude, but I didn't care. I was too angry. How dare she come into my bathroom and stop what I was doing? She thinks she knows better? "Why are you here?"

"I just saved you Luis and you're asking why I'm here?" She scoffed, standing up. I nodded and she rolled her eyes. "You're welcome."

"I didn't ask you to save me." I said.

"So you wanted to kill yourself?" She asked.

"I wanted to die." I said. "And not because I'm depressed about you or my family; but because I know if I had a choice in how I would die in my life it would be this. I can control this."

"So do it in 20 years." She scoffed.

"You think we're going to be alive for 20 years?" I said. "Seriously?"

"I want to believe so." She nodded. I rolled my eyes, leaning back in the bath. "I want to believe so because I want to be alive for another 20 years. I've got a future Luis."