prologue

There were days where I had hoped he would not be at school.

He always caused me trouble. I hated him. Every square inch of him.

Some days, he would tease me, and he would say things that he knew would piss me off. It worked.

Other days, he would be cold, and uncivil. To talk to him on those days would be almost as if inviting your own death.

The last day of school I was beyond excited to get away from him. I would never have to deal with him, and his endless teasing.

I got home that day and my mom told me I was being sent to a summer camp.

I was ecstatic. I loved doing summer camps. Back home in America they were the highlight of my summer.

It only got better. My mom told me the camp was back home in Sacramento. That was five thousand, one hundred, and eighteen miles away from him.

I would be able to free myself for two months from him and his suffocating bounds. The summer camp was some of the best news I had gotten all year.

I spent a whole week packing, and researching the camp. It was a dream camp. Everything, absolutely everything about the camp looked perfect.

The day of the camp I arrived a bundle of nerves and excitement. I gave my mom a hug goodbye, and stared in awe at my new home for the next two months.

Everything was as perfect. Just as how I had dreamed it would be.

That was until I saw him.