Chapter Eight

Eden woke early Sunday morning to the sound of loud pounding on the door downstairs. She groaned into her pillow and rolled over onto her back, glancing sideways at her alarm clock. It wasn't even nine yet. She was sore and exhausted and had hoped to be able to sleep in to rest her muscles, but of course no one else would wake up to go open the door, so she got up, pulled on a hoddie, and walked downstairs on wobbly legs. She looked through the peephole and her stomach lurched.

Her eyebrows drew together and she took a step back from the door. She could go back upstairs and have someone else wake up to open the door and deal with him.

Another sharp rasp against the wooden door made her jump.

She thought of Lily waking up and being the one to answer the door; she could practically hear the jeers that would come out of Fisher's mouth if he saw Lily. With a scowl Eden ripped open the door and stepped outside, then slammed it behind herself. "What?" she snapped.

Detective Fisher grinned, his eyes raking over her body, lingering on her bare, long thighs. He stepped up onto the stair below her and licked his lips. "Nice to see you, too, sunshine. Can I have a word?"

She folded her arms over her chest defiantly and glared at Fisher, her jaw clenching along with her fists.

"You gonna talk here this time? Or do I have to take you back to the station again?"

She stood rooted to the spot, eyes narrowed and nose turned up; he smelled strongly of body odor and something spicy. It was not a pleasant mixture.

"Listen here, bitch, just because you've got yourself a psycho on a leash doesn't mean you're safe from the law. Or me," he growled. He stepped up the last stair, causing her to back herself against the closed door. His lip curled and he lifted his coarse hand and grazed it deliberately slow against her soft cheek. "Where's the masked man now?" he purred.

She fought the urge to knee him in the balls or spit in his face. But there was nothing she could do; he was a cop. She clamped her mouth shut and pinched her eyes closed, turning her head to the side so his mouth was nowhere near hers. Her skin was crawling and the sick feeling in her stomach that never seemed to truly disappear came bubbling up her throat.

He chuckled, his hand now moving down her silky neck. Eden didn't flinch; she merely sucked in a deep breath and waited for his next move. "Stop."

"And why would I want to do that?" His voice was low and condescending and right against her neck. "I've got you right where I want you." His hand dropped from her cheek and instead caressed up her outer thigh. "You can't fight me. You're helpless without your pet." His hand began to lift to the hem of her shorts.

"Stop," Eden whispered, teeth clenched tight, her eyes closed tight, every muscle tight and traitorous.

He sniggered, hand continuing its way up the back of her shorts. His body pressed heavily into hers. She couldn't move against him. Couldn't breathe.

Eden sank into the door, wishing it would open, that Justin, or even Drew, had woken up and the door would just fall open. Fisher's hand grabbed her ass and pressed himself more firmly to her. He opened his mouth but just then the sound of wheels on gravel filled both their ears, Fisher looked over his shoulder and cursed.

Eden's eyes open, and landed on the Toyota, her snarl turning soft. She hated herself for that.

Detective Yates slammed his door and sprinted up the drive, grabbed Fisher by the scruff of the neck and yanked his body away from Eden's, putting himself between the two. Fisher stumbled down a few steps and glared up at Yates.