Chapter Twenty-Six

Parker pushed through the glass door of Ashen City's Police Department, his eyes searching frantically as he moved deeper into the department. His eyes sought out his old Captain. Parker moved slowly, his every move deliberate, every predatory instinct in his body on overdrive.

"Yates," Captain Matthews said, shocked but pleased to see Parker. He extended his hand, Parker shook it, his grip far too firm and sweaty. "I was beginning to think you didn't get my message."

Parker yanked his hand away. "Your message?" he repeated darkly, his hand itching to clamp around Matthews's thick neck.

Captain Matthews nodded solemnly. "I could really use your help on this. You were right."

"What are you talking about?" Parker spit out.

Captain Matthews nodded his head towards his office, then stalked off in the direction. Parker followed obediently, but if one word came out of Matthews's mouth that convinced Parker he was the one who sent the threats, the pictures... the obedience in Parker would turn into the Shadow Killer's rage.

"What's this about?" Parker asked, arms folded across his chest. Matthews motioned for Parker to sit down. Parker remained standing. "What is this about?"

The Captain sighed and walked around the side of his desk, sat down and then began rifling through his desk. He dropped a thick file in front of Parker. Parker eyed it accusingly. Not once had it occurred to Parker that this could be about him and Eden and the way they spent their nights. "Parker," the Captain sighed. "Sit."

Parker nodded once, then sat. His body hummed with panic, making it impossible to sit still. He held Matthews's gaze for a moment then grabbed the file and flipped through it. They were missing women. Nearly fifty different faces flashed in front of him. Parker looked up at Matthews. "I was right... Bu how do you know?"

Matthews leaned forward. "We picked a few up for prostitution. A few were older, late twenties, others weren't even sixteen yet. We didn't think they were linked until we realized they were from disappearances. You were right about the disappearances being linked to the prostitution ring, Parker."

Parker sat quietly. "But that's not all, is it? There's more."

"I think this case is linked to an older prostitution case," Matthews said slowly, gauging Parker's reaction. "Over the last fifteen years, we've had dead prostitutes showing up in gutters and alleyways."

Parker nodded. "Okay...?"

Matthews's clicked his pen once, twice, then a third time. "We knew it was a prostitution ring because this brand was found on all the victims." He slid another set ofpictures towards Parker. Parker sucked in a rickety breath, his head shaking of its own accord. "I believe you have a similar brand..." the Captain said gently.

Parker nodded hesitantly. "My father. He was the ring leader, wasn't he? God, of course he was."

"He has a partner who's still alive. I think they've been keeping the business alive..." he trailed off, his old eyes boring into Parker's.

Parker frowned and willed himself to stay in control of the emotions running through him. "You think I'm responsible for this? Don't you?" Parker said through clenched teeth. "You think I would do to innocent women what my father did to so many others?"

The Captain leaned forward, his intense gaze holding Parker's from across the desk. "No. But I think you know who is. Think back to when you were a kid. To the people your dad brought around—"

"My dad brought a lot of men around," Parker said curtly.

Matthews nodded apologetically. "Parker, I've read your file over and over again. I know what happened, what you've done, and it doesn't matter. You're still a good kid. You're not your father or the things he did. But you easily could have been and yet you chose this life." Matthews motioned to the police station behind him. "You chose a life of justice instead of a life of crime. It says a lot about your character. It's one of the reasons I hired you."