Chapter Eighteen

Parker's eyes inched open. Hair was in his mouth, not his own hair, not Bear's. Long, silky brown hair. A stupid, exhausted smile immediately lit his face. He let himself watch her sleep, bask in her beauty. Her face wasn't as sharp as they were during the day, when her constant thoughts set her on edge. Her features weren't as sharp as they were during the night, either. Her wrath and vengeance were at bay. She was peaceful. She slept soundlessly.

He had slept soundlessly. Even after what he saw last night, even after the secrets he had told, the tears he'd shed, even after all that he had somehow managed to sleep peacefully. He watched Eden quietly. He hadn't expected to tell her that last night—at all. He'd never told anyone, he'd never wanted to tell anyone. He thought no one would understand. But Eden did. Eden understood.

Her hand lifted lazily off his comforter and covered his face. "Shh, Parker."

"I didn't say anything," he laughed quietly. Her hand dropped from his face and she groaned.

"But I can hear you thinking." She rolled onto her back and covered her closed eyes with her arm. "Don't verbalize what you're thinking. It's early and I'm tired and you're warm. I just want to lay here." Her leg that was draped over his hip pulled him closer.

He sucked in a quiet breath, his eyes searching her face curiously. "Eden."

"Mmhm?"

"You'll go to dinner with me?"

She laughed. "Mmhm."

"Tonight?"

A smile pulled at the corners of her mouth. "Yes." She removed her hand, turned on her side, and met his warm eyes. Her eyes held a warmness of their own that Parker hoped had more to do with him rather than her peaceful sleep.

"You're the only thing in my life that matters—" He stopped midsentence and stared at her with a look of surprise. Her big green eyes were tired yet attentive, clinging to his every word. Her long brown hair lay all over his pillow. He wanted her hair there every night. His bushy eyebrows drew together, his eyes searching her face frantically. "Oh God."

She lifted up onto her elbow. "What?"

He leaned in and kissed her full lips in a slow, tender kiss. He pulled back and stared at her with a confused look. He was in love with her? How could he be in love with her? It wasn't lust, but it surly wasn't love? Right? His eyes widened. No. No, he was in love with her. He was in love with her. Why did that scare him? God, did it scare him.

"Parker, what's wrong?"

"Eden, I like you. I like you a lot." He really, really liked her. The other L word was there, at the tip of his tongue. He wouldn't say it. He couldn't. If he didn't scare her last night by spilling the secrets of his past, he was sure this would.

"I would hope so, considering I'm in your bed." She lifted her hand and raked her fingers through his short brown hair. His frown pulled into a smile.

Bear barked loudly from somewhere in the house. Parker groaned and leaned over, kissing Eden's lips once more before getting up and walking to his door. He tried to push the thought away. Love was a dangerous emotion to have when he constantly dangled her in front of harm's way.

Eden hopped out of Parker's bed and followed him. As Parker let Bear outside, Eden plopped down on his leather sofa and turned on the TV. "I think I should go home soon," she said, her eyes glued to the muted news anchor. She was waiting for some sign of last night's events to appear on the screen, but so far there was nothing.

Parker came and sat next to her, pulling her legs until her feet rested in his lap. "How soon is soon?"

"I don't know, what time is it?"