Chapter Fourteen

She jerked awake, panic flooding her body. Parker was sitting on the edge of what Eden assumed was his bed. His hand had been resting on her thigh, but he moved it to her covered feet. She hadn't felt the pressure of his hand on her thigh, but now that he removed it she felt the loss sorely. Her eyes were heavy and her head pounding. "Go back to sleep, Eden."

She closed her eyes and let the hammering in her scull consume her for a moment, breathing deeply. "I'm sorry." Her eyes opened again, looking even more worn. "I have a weak stomach. I can't look at blood since... since that night."

He wondered what night she was talking about, but then it hit him. His fingers trailed over her covered foot; her eyes fluttered shut. "I gave you some pills to help you sleep."

"Mmhm."

"Black stabbed you."

Her eyes opened with difficulty and she pulled the covers down. "Where's—where's my... dress?" A large sweater was covering her now, she lifted it gingerly. A white pad of cloth covered her left hip, blood weakly seeping through. She closed her eyes again.

"In the trash. I cleaned it then stitched it up."

"You undressed me?" she asked slowly.

He laughed quietly, sadly. "Yes." His fingers kept the slow pace over her feet. It was a pleasant distraction.

"Oh." Her mind didn't seem to be moving fast, nor in the right direction.

He laughed again. "Go to sleep."

"But... you saw me naked?"

"Nothing I haven't seen before."

A crease formed between her brows. How many women had been in his bed and in a more intimate position? How many notches were on his belt?

"You were awake, physically."

"Physically," she repeated distantly.

"Eden?"

"Yeah?"

"Go to sleep."

She took a deep breath. Coffee and leather filled her lungs. It made her want to cry for some reason. "Stay with me."

"I am."

"Lay with me," she corrected.

He shook his head even though she couldn't see. She was so beautiful and tired and out of it. "I'll be on the couch."

Her eyes blinked opened again. "No."

"Go to sleep."

She closed her eyes.

"Good girl."

A lazy smile lifted her lips. He stood from the bed and she nuzzled her face into the pillows. Warm lips kissed her hairline and her heart simultaneously rose and sank.

His bed was large and lonely. She wished he'd sleep next to her. "Tell me a story," she murmured.

He looked at her for a long moment. "Another night, Eden. For now just get some sleep."

Eden woke again, light pouring through the curtained windows. She wanted to lie in his bed forever, but she didn't want to lay alone. She wanted his large, muscular form beside her, his hands in her hair, his breath on her neck. But what she really wanted was food. And coffee. And sleep, hours and hours of sleep. With him.

The door creaked open slowly, he peeked his head in the door then withdrew it.

"I'm awake." Her voice was hoarse and low; she hadn't thought he heard, but he walked back in, sitting on the edge of the bed as though he was in her room, her guest, and not the other way around. She sat up slowly, dull pain stung at her hip, but overall she felt drained, physically and mentally drained.