Chapter Twenty-Five

Eden and Parker crouched in the bushes outside the house. Parker glanced over at Eden's shadowed face and ran his knuckles across her jaw lightly. "Tell me this is the last time?"

She inhaled sharply. "It is." And she meant it.

Eden could see the relief wash over the little section of skin she could see. "Good." He delicately moved her mask into place, then kissed her. Hard and slow and reassuring. "Then let's go."

Eden nodded swiftly, then followed him to the back of the house, keeping low and to the shadows. She watched as Parker darted towards the open window, then motioned her over. As soon as she reached Parker, she heard the shouting coming from inside. She glanced at Parker, the whites of her eyes glowing in the darkness. "Give me a lift up."

He stooped down and wrapped his arms around her thighs, then stood. She yelped and latched onto his shoulders.

"Eden," he warned, his voice muffled by her chest.

"Sorry." She reached for the ledge of the window and heaved herself up, landing with a thud on the floor. Her head snapped up and around at the sound of skin smacking skin. More yelling. Eden stood and crept towards the door.

Parker landed soundlessly on the floor and followed Eden, a hairsbreadth away. "Eden," he whispered against her ear. "Stop. I'm going first." Eden nodded and pulled back, letting him silently open the door. "Keep your back to—"

"The wall," she cut in softly. "Don't leave your back exposed to the enemy. Got it."

He turned around, eyebrow arched and a deadpan expression on his face that made Eden fall silent. The voices grew louder as they approached.

"Then what is it?" Mr. Whitney slurred, anger ever present in his voice. "What is it if it's not a pregnancy test? Do you think I'm stupid?"

Parker's steps faltered, he held out an arm to stop Eden from walking past him.

"It's a pregnancy test," Mrs. Whitney answered in quite obedience.

"And what does it say?" he spat.

"Positive."

A loud smack rang in Eden's ears, followed by a piercing scream and a dragging sound.

"No. Please. No. I'll get it taken care of. I promise. Please," Mrs. Whitney wailed.

Eden shoved against Parker's back. "Parker, please."

He shoved his arm out further. "She's going to recognize you, Eden."

"Then you help her. I can handle him."

"I'm not paying to take care of your mistake," came Mr. Whitney's bombing voice. "I can take care of it right now."

"Parker—"

But Parker was already moving, he took a step forward, unsheathing his machete from behind his back. Eden inhaled sharply, then followed after him, drawing her own blades from her waist.

The sight in from of her made Eden stop in her tracks and her blood run cold. Mrs. Whitney's screams, paired with sight of her being dragged by her hair towards the stairs, was something Eden would remember for the rest of her life.

Parker grabbed Mr. Whitney by the back of the shirt and yanked, making him choke and sputter. Mrs. Whitney screamed again, crawling away from Parker. Her eyes landed briefly on Eden, but the only expression etched onto her face was terror. Parker made eye contact with Eden, then nodded towards Mr. Whitney, his dark eyes asking her if she could handle him. Eden nodded, then stalked over to Mr. Whitney, knifes held aloft in her steady hands.