Chapter Twenty-Eight

Penelope jolted awake, forcing Eden's bound hands against the wall. Eden bit back a hiss as pain shot through her shoulders and wrists. "I'm sorry," Penelope whispered, leaning her own back against the wall and hugging her knees to her chest. "I had a bad dream..."

"You're fine," Eden said in a scratchy voice. "I'm glad you could get some sleep."

The hitch in Penelope's breathing forced Eden to look over at her. "Do you think anyone's looking for us?" Penelope asked, her eyes downcast and welling with fresh tears. "Is anyone going to save us?"

"Parker. Parker's going to..." Eden trailed off, not because she didn't believe he would save them, but because she didn't want to mention how far Parker would go. Eden didn't want Penelope to be scared of Parker. Because he would save them. But a lot of bodies would drop when he did.

Eden sucked in a deep breath, causing her to cough. Body shaking coughs that felt like claws dragging straight through her chest and up her throat. She could taste blood. Penelope picked at a rip in her jeans. Eden saw a tear roll off the girl's nose and hit the floor. Eden longed for water, her throat was raw from crying. Another tear dripped to the floor.

"Penelope, can you untie my hands? Please."

Penelope nodded and just as Eden leaned forward, the door swung open. Too much light flooded the dark space at once, cause both girls to wince away.

"Well isn't this cute," Fisher mocked, his footsteps ringing out through the room. "Say hi to Yates for me." Penelope pressed herself into Eden as Fisher neared. Eden strained her squinted eyes open and fixated them on Fisher. He loomed over them, Eden's phone in his hand. He brought the camera down to Penelope's face. "Say hi to your brother," he barked.

Penelope's lips quivered.

"Say hello," he spat again, making Penelope jump and a sob rise from her throat.

"P-Parker, please. Please save me. I don't wanna be here, I'm scared. Parker, I'm so scared. I want Mommy and Daddy; I don't wanna be here—"

The smirk on Fisher's face as he filmed her was sickening. He pointed the camera at Eden, then, waiting for her to beg and plead as Penelope had. "And what about you, Princess? Don't you want to say hello to your lover?" Eden clenched her teeth, willing herself not to call out to him. God, how she wanted to. But she wouldn't give Fisher the satisfaction or Parker more worry.

Fisher grabbed at her suddenly, yanking her off the wall by her hair. Penelope's scream mixed with Eden's. Penelope was frozen against her spot on the wall as Eden was dragged a few feet away. Air refused to fill Eden's lungs as her stomach hit the ground. Fisher yanked at the bloody ropes binding Eden's wrists, making Eden cry out in agony. "Beg me to stop."

Eden quaked with silent sobs. She shook her head even though her brain was screaming at her to do as he said. Pain would win, however, she knew that. "STOP! Stop! Please," Eden choked out. "Please, don't do it again. I'll do what you want." He laughed and stood. "I'll do what you want," she repeated quietly, eyes closed tight. She forced her breathing to steady. The only thing that would trump pain was strategy.

"You said she was strong, Yates." He laughed again, cruel and bitter. "But she's defenseless. You know what I can do with defenseless?"

Eden laid motionless, focusing on breathing slow and deep instead of Fisher's swirling words. His lips were tight, growling. He came back into focus. His threats louder, harsher. Eden flinched when he held the phone back in front of her face. "Be a good girl and say goodbye," he demanded.