Chapter Thirty-Two

Eden didn't know how Lily expected her to react. But Eden was relieved that the Shadow Killer had murdered her father. Had she just become that cold hearted that she didn't even need to question Parker's choice to know her father had deserved it? Relief didn't begin to describe how she felt knowing she didn't have to endure another word from her father's foul mouth. She wasn't relieved, however, when Reagan told her Captain Matthews wanted to speak to her.

The captain was staring at her as she approached. His authority rolled off in waves, but there was a certain sadness about the way he looked at her. Pity and hope mixed with something worse than either.

"Miss Summers?"

"Yeah."

His features crumpled, but still he held out his hand. "Brian Matthews."

She pressed her lips into a thin line and glanced meaningfully at the sling supporting her right shoulder. Still, she nodded politely. "Eden Summers."

"How are you doing, kid?" he asked wearily.

Eden shrugged and tugged on a loose thread hanging from her borrowed sweater, eyes downcast. "How's Parker? Do they know anything?"

He sighed, a slow, meaningful sigh. "He's still in surgery."

Eden swallowed down the lump. "Oh."

Matthews waited for a moment. Eden could feel his gaze burning on her face. She knew there was something worse he needed to say, but had no idea how to say it. "Fisher is out of surgery and awake."

Eden's eyes snapped to Matthews's.

"I have cops stationed with him and outside his door—"

"Cops he was friends with? Could still very well be friends with?"

"I wouldn't put your life in jeopardy," he said firmly, yet not unkindly. "I took necessary precautions. He's cuffed to his hospital bed and the only cops I allowed near him are those who sided with the Shadow Killer and all he's done."

Eden sunk her teeth into her lips to keep the question held back.

"Not that Fisher could go anywhere. You took care of that problem when you shot him four times in the same thigh. He'll have permanent nerve damage."

"Good. He shot me first," Eden said quietly, though she was sure she had shot him more than four times.

"He did a lot worse than shoot you. You're very brave."

How could she be brave when she was terrified? How could she be brave knowing that Parker could die at any second? She was terrified out of her mind, not brave. Just desperate.

Eden wrung her hands.

"If you have a question, Miss Summers, just ask."

"In... in your honest opinion, do you think Parker will recover?"

He looked like he wanted to lie so badly. Eden willed him with her eyes not to. He scratched his stubbled cheek. "I'm not sure how extensive the internal bleeding is. Fisher used defensive bullets, they expand on impact and the exit wound becomes bigger than the entrance hole. It causes a lot of damage, especially when mayor organs are in jeopardy."

She felt the words hit her. She bit her quivery lip and turned her cheek away from Matthews, blinking the tears away. "Okay."

"Parker's a good kid. I'm sorry."

"I know."

Matthews cleared his throat and motioned towards the door they stopped in front of. "But I have to ask you questions now." He pulled open the door and led her inside.