Chapter Fifteen

Eden let the door shut soundlessly behind her; a cloud of smoke greeted her along with a woman's voice from the TV. She stopped and absorbed the words.

"The notorious masked murderer strikes again. After a two month period of calm, the killer slipped out of the shadows to commit another act of violence late last night. This marks the thirty-fourth person to die at the hands of this mass murderer, but are police any closer to catching him? Captain Matthews assures us that they are indeed closer to arresting the man behind the mask, though if they have any leads or suspects they refuse to comment. Anyone with any information regarding the serial killer is urged to call the hotline at the bottom of the screen. On a lighter note, we move to Candace. Candace, how's the weather out there?"

There was a pause in which the woman on the split screen only smiled, then greeted the other woman then dived into the weather. "The weather really is heating up; summer is drawing nearer—"

The TV turned off. "So you finally decided to come home, huh?" her father rasped from the couch.

She could tell he was still drunk, and though there was hardly a difference between her father sober and intoxicated, she'd choose him sober any day.

"Yeah, I'm home."

He got up from the couch. "Don't take that tone with me."

"I don't think you're supposed to drink alcohol with the pills the doctors gave you," Eden pointed out, not sure where this confidence was coming from, but knowing it wasn't wise. And besides, she knew her father already sold the pills the hospital gave him after Parker attacked.

Her father moved closer, his breath heavy of alcohol. He eyed her apparel with a snarl. "Where were you last night?"

She folded her arms over her chest. "Out."

His hand struck her face lightning fast, a thundering crack pulsating in the air. Her face prickled with pain.

"Been fuckin' around have you? You filthy little whore. Like it when men choke you, do you?" His hand clamped around her welted neck. She looked up into her father's glazed over eyes. She was tempted to spit in his face, but knew she'd regret it. "You like being fucked, don't you? Well, I got a buyer waitin' for you. He'd drop a pretty penny, he would, all I've got to do is hand you over and let him have his fill of you. Then Lily."

Heat blossomed where his hand had struck her, but the rest of her face drained of color. "What are you talking about?" she whispered. She heard the words he'd sprouted off, she just didn't want to believe them.

"Gotta make money off you somehow. One of my costumers misses you, wants to take you off my hands. He wants a new toy to break. Haven't settled on a price. How much do you think your worth? A couple thousand?"

"You're lying," she said, her voice wavering. Her heart was slamming against her chest. Chad's threats were never empty ones.

He smiled, his yellow teeth bared. His grip on her neck tightened, reminding her of Black's belt around her neck. "Max of five K?"

Eden shoved him away. He caught her wrist and chuckled.

"Let go of me."

"Or what?"

A threat couldn't come; she was numb. She jerked out of his grasp and pushed him into the sofa, he toppled easily, and she sprinted up the stairs. Drew was there, because why would he be at his own house?

"I hear you're givin' free admission now? Can anyone have a go on the ol' Eden express or just pigs in uniform? 'Cause I've waited in line a long time, Princess, and I think I should get the next ride." His hair was greasier than she'd ever seen it. He smelled horrid.