Chapter Twenty-Nine

"It won't work," Eden said through clenched teeth. "Parker won't negotiate with you."

Fisher smirked and grabbed Eden by her jaw. "He will. It'll kill him to do it, but he will."

He released his grip on Eden's jaw, then drew his fingers leisurely down the column of her throat and continuing his vile path between her breasts. Eden's body tensed beneath his fingertips, her eyes closed tight, not daring to breath as his hand continued its trail down her stomach. She inhaled sharply once his hand settled on the button of her jeans.

Penelope whimpered, low and soft.

Eden swallowed as Fisher pressed his lips against her ear. "Warn your dog to come unarmed," he whispered scornfully. "His machete won't save you this time."

Eden flinched away from Fisher, eyes wide with shock and horror. Her mouth gaped open, words failing her even when she knew she wouldn't dare say them aloud.

A patronizing smirk curled Fisher's lips. "His secret's safe with me, I assure you." He straightened himself and pulled Eden's phone out of his pocket. He dialed the numbers slowly, his gaze moving from the phone to Eden with every button pushed. It was quite, Eden and Penelope both holding their breath to hear the faint ringing on the other end on the phone.

Parker's plea was immediately quieted by Fisher. "I'd watch what you say, Yates; I believe I have the two most important people in your life, not you."

The line was silent. Fisher continued.

"It looks like you have quite the choice to make, so why don't we just get started? Penelope or Eden. You decide which one to save and which one I get to keep."

"Don't do this."

"Pick," Fisher said impatiently.

"I can't."

"Pick! Or I pick. I already know which one I want to keep."

Silence swallowed the room. Parker's hesitancy clawed at Eden's stomach. She knew there was no choice of who to save. Parker knew. Fisher knew. The silence just hurt. It hurt Penelope because she thought there was an actual choice for Parker to make, her or Eden. "Let me talk to them," Parker said finally.

Fisher, his eyes still trained on Eden, handed the phone to Penelope. She grabbed at it eagerly, her sobs making it impossible for her words to come out. Eden closed her blurry eyes, trying to focus on Parker's voice coming from the other end of the phone. She wanted to savor his words in case she didn't get to say goodbye.

"Hand Eden the phone. Can you do that, Penelope?"

Penelope nodded, then squeaked out a yes when she realized Parker couldn't see her. With a shaking hand, Penelope gave Eden the phone.

"Parker," Eden breathed, clutching the phone tightly.

"Eden. Oh God, Eden. I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault," she whispered. Tears burned in her eyes. "It's not your fault."

"Yes it is. I put you in this situation!" The crack in his voice fractured something deep in Eden's chest. A fresh tear rolled down her cheek. "I put both of you in this situation and I'm so sorry."

"Stop. Stop blaming yourself for the horrible things that people do. It is not your fault."

She heard him let out a shaky breath. "I'm going to kill him."

Eden shook her head, swallowing around the lump in her throat. "No. No you can't. He knows. Parker, he knows and he'll tell and then you won't be able to come back and save me."