Chapter Thirty-One

Nothing mattered in that moment, and Eden was sure nothing would matter ever again.

Eden felt her heart shatter as her knees hit the gravel. A strangled cry was still forcing its way from her throat. Fisher kicked her to her hands and knees, letting her crawl to Parker's side. Every foot Eden moved closer to Parker's still form felt like nails being hammered into her stomach.

He was already so pale in the low light, but his skin looked ghostly when she stopped at his side. His blood was too dark, already pooling underneath him, all around him. Eden gulped at the air, wishing for something other than panic to be filling her lungs.

He was flat on his back, his bloody hands clutching helplessly at his stomach, his eyes were wide with shock and pain, but softened at the sight of her leaning over him. Parker hefted his dripping hand to her face, caressing her cheek gently.

"No. No no no no," Eden breathed, her hands pressing firmly over his oozing gunshot wound. He coughed. Blood bubbled up from his mouth. "No. No, Parker please."

"You were wrong," he said in a rattling gasp. He coughed again, then forced a weak smile. "The hero doesn't get the girl."

"No. No don't say that," she choked out. "You have the girl. She's right here, okay? Okay? I'm right here, Parker."

"Eden."

She pressed her lips firmly together, trying to keep her sobs from tearing her apart.

"Stop saying my name like it's the last thing you plan on saying."

His hand ran along her jaw, then let it fall heavily to the ground. "Eden," he said again.

"Yeah?" Her voice broke.

He grimaced and rolled slightly to the side. "My gun." Blood pooled faster at his movement and Eden tried frantically to keep the presser on. "I already cocked it. All you have do is line up the sights and pull the trigger."

"No. No please don't make me do this alone," she pleaded, tears flowing down her cheeks. "Please don't leave me."

"I'm right here."

Eden swallowed around the lump in her throat, then nodded faintly. She could see the gun peeking out of the waistband of Parker's jeans. She removed one shaking hand from his stomach and pulled the gun free. "Body mass? That's what I should aim for?" she asked quietly, her voice wavered.

He swallowed, then sputtered around a mouthful of blood. "Eden?" She held his fading gaze even as it was destroying her. "Kiss me one more time."

She wanted to tell him no. She wanted to tell him she would kiss him every day for the rest of his life, just not today. But as hard and desperately she looked at him, she didn't see a future in his diminishing gaze. She leaned down, pressing her mouth to his forehead, his temples, his cheeks, his eyelids. He was smiling when she reached his mouth. A small, frail smile. She kissed him tenderly there, though her body heaved with suppressed sobs. Her tears ran down her nose and onto his face.

"I love you."

She had to pull away. The lump in her throat hurt too much, her vision too blurred. "I love you so much."

And then she turned. She turned her sorrow into rage. She turned fast, the sights narrowed in on Fisher's chest. It hit his thigh. The kick was unexpected and strong. She shot again. And again. She stood from her crouch, stalking towards Fisher's heaped body. Her hands shook too much. She shot. She missed. He reached for his gun. She kicked it away and pointed her own at his head with trembling hands.