"Four Eyes"

"Tom, I'll be fine."

"Why don't you want me to come?"

You adjust the phone as you steady the carry-on bag over your head.  "You're supposed to be home studying the script."

"Darling, I already have."

"Traffic is horrendous during rush hour."

"I'll leave early."

"It's JFK airport."

"I'll leave extra early."  Now that earned a small smile on your face as you closed the hatch and sat down in your seat.

"Tom, do you really want to be swarmed by a crowd of fans?  Especially when we have only one day to be with each other?"  You switch the phone in your hands as I sit down next to you, not wanting to seem rude.  "Don't get me wrong, I love the fans, but I really want to maximize our time together."

A sigh comes from his end.  "Alright, love.  But please, be careful."

"Oh no worries, I have Ace here."  I roll my eyes with a smile and laugh lightly.

"I'll keep her safe, Thomas."

You hear his chuckle in your ear.  "Don't have too much fun without me."

As you hang up, I knew exactly what was bothering you, what made you come up with perfectly logical explanations to counteract the emotional dilemmas you were having, what made you sacrifice seeing Tom hours sooner instead of being in his arms a minute after landing.

"(Y/N)--"

"Not now, okay?"

I sulk back in my seat, torn whether to push you more or let it go.  But I give it one final nudge.

"I hope the glasses were worth two hours of time with Tom."

Needless to say the flight bore silence.

~

Without Tom being there, we were relatively in and out. Our bags somehow were first for baggage claim, and my car was already waiting for us, Tom and Luke having dropped it off earlier.

And I knew there was a stop,to make before we headed to your boyfriend.

"(Y/N)--"

"Ace, these glasses are horrendous. They make my face look atrocious and highlight my acne even more. I look like the geek that gets bullied in the hallways!"

"And for the millionth time, no you don't. And nerds kinda rule the world at the moment. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg? For hahas, Sheldon Cooper. Must I go on?"

"I want the contacts. They already have them ready for me, so we might as well get it over with now."

I sigh. Once again, you had a valid point. It was on our way to Tom's and out the way going home.

Adamantly--or, stubbornly, depending who you ask--I stay in the car as you do in and meet the receptionist.

"Yes, Miss (Y/L/N), your order should be ready."  As the worker heads to the back, you promenade around the selection of glasses.  Yes, they may be better, but putting a picture in a frame is still taking attention off of it.  Frames hide painted corners to assert its own design to the front.

Just how you felt the glasses detracted from who you are.

Having one last shred of hope, you take off the frames and try on another; maybe it was just the design that was off-putting.

No, these won't do.

Too pointy.

Too small.

Goodness, are these magnifying glasses?

And as you put on the fifth pair, you see a blurred person looking back at you in the mirror.  As you turn back around and put on your prescription lens, your eyebrow wrinkles as you see brown glasses framing a familiar face.

"Tom?"

"Here you go, Miss (Y/L/N).  Mr Hiddleston, I'll be right with you."

You almost hadn't heard, for you were still transfixed on your boyfriend.  You had no idea.  Had you ever seen him wearing any?  Maybe you had, maybe you hadn't, you didn't know.  When you tried to remember, the images of the past were blurring much like your vision, and you just couldn't believe what you were seeing in the present.

"Ace told me everything. I had to come here anyway to pick up a new prescription."

Oh goodness she's going to get it.

"I didn't mean to offend you, I was just--" His smile and giggles put you off guard.  He wasn't mad?

"It's not easy the first few days, and sometimes I get embarrassed too.  But remember, frames protect paintings, just like the glasses will protect you.  They give you better sight to enjoy life more."  You feel his hand slip into yours.  "Maybe if I help you, you help me?"

"Ma'am?" the receptionist asked gently, holding up the bag.  As you go and pay, you kiss Tom's cheek.

"We're a team, right?" he asks as he gets his order.

"Like Captain Amer-eye-ca and Bucky Bifocal."

***

Apologizing for the bad pun.  I'm running on three hours of sleep and wanted to make sure I got this out today.

The request form is working like a charm!  Anonymous requests links are available in my bio!