Celebrity Relationships

"Why are they dating?"

"She's going to dump him."

"I bet she's only dating him to make herself look good."

"Another relationship to make money off of."

I never understood why so many people claim that if he dated someone, they'd be happy for him, but the moment our relationship goes public, suddenly they know what's best for him.

Why is it that when I express my feelings, I get slammed, but when others do it for the same reasons, they get praised? Why is it that my inspiration is dismissed as being manipulative but those same others are deemed as ingenious? Why is it that other popular celebrities are allowed to have relationship after relationship and not be judged, but when I do it, I'm labeled as the one who goes around? And besides that, most people have many relationships before getting married, or, sadly, even after marriage, yet somehow the media portrays specifically me as separate from this.

Why is it that I'm hated for doing exactly what others are doing?

I don't hear Tom as he enters the room and sees me endlessly scrolling through my social media feeds. My brimming tears cascade down my cheek as I jump, startled as he shuts my laptop.

"May I ask a question?" After a slight nod from me, he continues, "Why do you do that, torturing yourself by reading things that are said only to hurt you?"

I don't know how to answer him because I don't know. You know how you know you need to sleep, and yet you stay up all hours of the night until daybreak scrolling through Tumblr and Pinterest? It's like that, only you know the "funny" memes are aimed to you. It's like all your worst fears are out in the open, and instead of anyone commenting like a support team or a family, they're all picking up guns and pulling the trigger.

Why is hate a crime, but it's a freedom when it comes to me?

I must have taken too long to respond because all I feel is Tom's lips on my temple and his arms around my waist. I don't even have the energy to hug him back because all of it was used to try not to cry on the ride back home. I don't even have the strength to tell him how lonely I felt because others made me feel so weak. How can I be valued by the millions when I feel so worthless.

When did my life become so full of ironies?

"Darling," he whispers in my ear, "since when does the media have the right to broadcast and photograph how we run our private lives?"

I shrug my shoulders. "No matter what we do, they'll still try to interfere."

"And that's what's wrong with them, not what's wrong with you." He smiles. "I don't care what anyone says about you, or even about me being with you. The fact of the matter is that we both chose to be together. And I want to give you a chance to be you, not what everyone makes you out to be."

~

A/N: I intentionally waited for all the drama to die down a bit before posting this one because I knew there was no use to go against the grain. By now, you know that people are saying Tom is dating Taylor Swift. As long as they're both on the same page, which I would imagine it being that the feelings are real, then I'm okay with it. I don't want either of their hearts broken. That goes for anyone that either of them are dating. I'm not asking you to agree with it; I'm just asking for us to respect it.