The ice palace

The chilly weather had begun to sting at their nostrils as they trudged along in the subzero temperatures. Even through his thick leather armour, hiccup could sense the freezing temperature around him and wondered how anna and kristoff were able to keep going, as he knew their clothing was not as adapted for the cold as his was. Hiccup got over the fact that he was traveling with a princess, a schizophrenic guy with his reindeer and a talking snowman long ago, so his thoughts wandered back to Elsa. How could she possibly feel like right now? Her kingdom was covered in ice and snow and it was her own doing. She must feel terrible. But as much as he tried, he just couldn't shake off the thought, if Elsa had the power to create this winter, why didn't she remove it? In fact, why did she create it in the first place?

Sure, he saw how panicked she was when she first revealed her powers by creating that massive icy spike wall back in the ballroom, but surely that was just a little slip up and it was nothing compared to this winter. Hiccup couldn't imagine Elsa intentionally damning her kingdom to this. He just couldn't figure this one out.

Maybe I could ask Anna, he thought. After all, she knows Elsa more than anyone. But on a second thought, she can't really know anything more than we already do. She was just as confused and shocked about this whole thing as any of us.

"I don't know." Hiccup realized that he just said that out loud. That shocked him. He was so used to having Toothless around himself. And he wasn't used to walking so much either. Gods, did he miss Toothless. And flying too. If the dragon was around, he would have had this ordeal over with already. He could have just flown to mountain and he would have already found Elsa and would have had her remove this winter. But with Hiccup this was never that simple. "What's wrong, Hiccup?" came the childishly curious voice of Olaf. Hiccup was a little hesitant to start a conversation with him. Olaf, as kind as he was, did not seem like a easy person to talk to. Hiccup doubted that the small creature would understand, but it's not like he had anyone else to share his problems with. Kristoff and Anna were busy chatting with each other, and the reindeer seemed like a great listener, but Hiccup would have preferred someone who can actaully talk back. With a sigh, he began.

"Well, Olaf. This day has been a very rough one. And that is putting it mildly. Nothing seems to work in my favour today. I got close to a wonderful woman and the entire kingdom froze, I could have reached her on a much easier and shorter way, but the gods above once again decided that it wasn't how it is supposed to go. And now I gotta climb a mountain to reach the one person who can solve this mess. My prostethic leg is pretty much frozen solid and I miss my friend." Curiously, Olaf asked " who is your friend? " Hiccup hesitated , then whispered, " "toothless". "Where is he?" Olaf asked innocently. " He's injured. I hope he's okay...." . Anna having evaspropped on their conversation reassured him that 'toothless' would be fine . He nodded at her as a sign of thanks before she returned to her conversation with Kristoff.
Olaf contemplated his reply for a moment, before he came up with this.

"Well, maybe this is how it must be!" he cheerfully shouted. Hiccup looked confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, think about it, if you would have taken that shorter path, you never would have met us and you wouldn't be here with us on this journey!" The snowman exclaimed cheerfully. Hiccup rolled his eyes. " Plus, if you would have gotten to Elsa by now, wouldn't that have been a little boring?" Hiccup looked at Olaf in confusion. Boring? "Hold on... what do you mean 'boring'?" he asked. "Well, if the story of how you rescued your love..." Hiccup's face turned scarlet red, but before he could protest, the snowman contined. "...from the mountains was to be written by someone, you rescuing Elsa so easily wouldn't entertain anybody, would it?" Hiccup acknowledged that truth with a small grudge. "The rest of my life would be able to do that, should it be written." he deadpanned. "Well, I guess having a Snow Queen for a wife would definitely be something."
"Okay! This coversation ends here!" Hiccup stopped him and then he walked back to his other two companions. " We're here! Exclaimed the happy snowman as he leaned over a cliff. Finally. Hiccup had to admit the mountain looked pretty imposing and he couldn't climb up the rocky edges in this weather even if he tried . His fingers had become. Numb with cold. . But business came first. " Okay. Now to find Elsa" he remarked. "Hopefully." Anna added. After all, they still weren't sure that the queen was here. Kristoff turned to the rocky edge and Groaned. "Hmmm. It's too steep. " he said as he rummaged in his satchel , for his rope and pick axe. " I've only got one rope And Miss princess here doesn't know how to climb mountains. " He added to anna."Says who?" Anna said . As kristoff searched, hiccup was a little surprised as he noticed Anna move towards the mountain and try to climb it without any harness. He prodded kristoff on the head. He turned to face him. " What?!" Hiccup pointed at the princess doing her best to climb up. Placing his hands on his hips, kristoff asked. " What are you doin? " . Anna, with groan due to the stress she was under trying to climb replied " I'm .... going. ..to see.... my sister." . " How do you know Elsa even wants to see you guys?" Kristoff asked, shifting his gaze from Anna to hiccup. Hiccup merely shrugged as Anna's reply came as she almost tumbled. " I love her. I'm just gonna block you out cause I gotta concentrate here." . Kristoff continued to annoy her. At this point, hiccup wondered whether he was doing it intentionally. " Ya know, most people who go up into the mountains wanna be alone..." . "Nobody wants to be alone.... except mabye you. .. ". She added scornfully. " I'm not alone. I have friends.. remember? " . " the love experts?" She asked sarcastically. "Yes. The love experts" Kristoff replied, smirking as she struggled . " Hiccup?" Anna groaned. " Please tell me I'm almost there. " she pleaded to him after climbing up barely ten feet off the ground. Chuckling , hiccup headed over to help her. " Hang on--"
" Hey Sven! Hiccup! " Olaf called from behind them. " I don't know if this will help but I found a staircase that leads exactly where you wanted to go. " Sometimes, hiccup caught himself wondering whether the snowman was humorous unknowingly or just had a great sense of humour. " HA. HAH! " Anna laughed in relief. " Hey, catch! " she called as she let go of the rocky edge that she was holding onto. Hiccup ,who was late to react stood in amusement as kristoff rushed in and caught anna in his arms. He seemed to be developing a crush on anna, Hiccup thought to himself. He would be getting stiff competition from Hans and hiccup wished kristoff the best of luck in his head. " Thanks!" Anna said happily, patting kristoff's chest as he let her down. She was oblivious to Kristoff's feeling apparently. She turned to hiccup and said excitedly," That was like some crazy trust exercise, huh?" Hiccup nodded as a smile played on his lips. She really had no clue did she?

The group made their way to the staircase Olaf mentioned. It was a staircase made of solid ice reaching over an abyss and on the other side, they saw something that blew their minds. Towering over them was none other than Elsa's magneficent ice castle that made the royal castle of Arendelle or any other castles that they ever saw look like a few toy blocks placed on each other. None of them knew how long were they standing there, absolutley speechless. After a while, Kristoff managed to overcome his awe and speak, but all he could say was. "Now THAT'S ice. I'm might cry" his voice almost breaking. " Hiccup passed on ahead as anna whispered not dropping her eyes from the castle. " Go ahead, we won't judge...." Kristoff stayed behind as hiccup and anna moved up the ice staircase, sliding their palms across the railing and admiring the beauty. Kristoff only snapped out of his trance when Sven fell over, trying to follow anna and hiccup. The stairs proved to be too slippery for his hooves to stand on. " Alright ... I gotcha bud.."hiccup heard kristoff say as he helped up his friend. " You stay right here buddy. " he patted sven head as the reindeer obediently sat down like a puppy dog . Kristoff followed anna hiccup as they made their way up"flawless" hiccup heard him whisper. As hiccup and kristoff admired the castle, anna raised a hand to knock on the door. She hesitated. " Knock. " Olaf egged her on. " Just knock" He repeated. "Why isn't she knocking?" He looked at Hiccup and asked doubtfully " Do you think she know how to knock?" Hiccup merely shrugged at him. Anna inhaled deeply and knocked. Knock knock. Knock. On the third knock, the ice door slid open on its own to let them in. " It opened ! Thats a first..." Anna exclaimed , slightly surprised. As kristoff climbed up in after hiccup , anna turned to him and apologetically said. " Kristoff, I think you should wait here. Last time I introduced her to a guy she froze everything . " Looking helpless , he stuttered " But....but..... aw come on! It's It's a palace made of ice! And ice is my life!" He said with his arms waving about in the air , trying to prove his point. " And what about hiccup? " he added . " My sister knows him and I'm guessing she likes him. So he's not a problem. " Anna answered . Seeing the slightly crestfallen expression on kristoff's face, Hiccup couldn't help but feel sorry for him. He turned to anna. " Ya know what? I think you and elsa need some time to a bond... as sisters. I'm gonna stay out here with Kristoff. " he grinned at kristoff as the ice man nodded as if to say thanks. " Bye sven! Bye Hiccup! " Olaf chimed in cheerfully as he waved at them. " You too Olaf. .." Anna stopped the snowman. Seeing his frown, " just.....gives us a minute...." she reassured him. The door closed ass kristoff and hiccup sat down on the stairs. With anna out of sight, Hiccup decided to use this time to have a little fun with Kristoff. " So..." he began as Olaf sat down in between and started whispering "one......Two.... .....three......four...." . Hiccup continued. " So. Um. How long have you had a crush on the princess ? " he smirked playfully as he saw kristoff's face blush bright red. " wha---no.n-no. I don't. .. who told..... was it sven?" He stammered, trying to divert the topic. " No it wasn't your reindeer. It's pretty obvious with how you act around her. The only one oblivious to the fact is anna. " hiccup said. " stop it! " Kristoff blushed. " your not that different either armour boy. What about you and the queen? " it was hiccups turn to blush . "I--" . He was interrupted by Olaf who cheerfully exclaimed " and sixty! Yay! Come on guys!" The snowman had been sitting there and counting, not paying attention to the conversation between kristoff and hiccup. He flung the door open and ran inside. " No ,Olaf wait!" Hiccup followed him inside , trying to stop him. It was too late. He heard someone gasp his name . " Hiccup? !"