Sal x Reader - They're So Cute When They Sleep

He's staring down at the sleeping bundle, arms resting on the wood of the cot while the baby snoozes silently. Soft gurgling makes its breaths even more endearing to the Joker; but what makes it the cutest thing in the world is that he's had it with you.

The delivery had been hell, you almost breaking two of his fingers due to clutching his hand so hard throughout all of the pain - and he would have accepted a whole assortment of broken limbs just to stay in that damn room with you, breathing alongside you and wiping your sweat away with a damp cloth and kissing your forehead soothingly when you were certain you were about to pass out in agony-- he wouldn't have traded any of it for the world for the experience makes him feel closer than ever to you.

"Sal?"

He hears you and he turns to face you almost immediately, automatically opening his arms as you move towards him and settle into his warm embrace. After so long worrying that he'd eventually grow tired of you, you'd come to really relish in those breathtaking hugs of his for they never fail to make you feel safe and loved. Your head rubs against his chest, nuzzling much like a cat before you pull away slightly and look up at him, fingers coming to lazily stroke against his beard while he regards you with a soft smile.

"I couldn't help myself," he tells you, voice low so as not to wake the sleeping newborn. A soft giggle passes your lips as the pads of your fingers travel down his neck, tired gaze locked on his and the smile never leaves your lips as you lean in and press a tender kiss to his mouth. It's nothing heated, a pure lust for love as he caresses your face gently and guides you seamlessly against his body.

Sal's hair tickles your face as he gives you a grin and diverts to your neck, peppering kisses along your the expanse of skin and making his way to your jaw, hot open-mouthed kisses making your eyes slip closed-- but you still giggle because you've always been ticklish.

"Shh..." Sal whispers with a small laugh. "Don't wake [B/N], [Y/N]."

"Sal," you murmur, managing to pick up your head long enough to stare at him with a loving smile on your face, lips resting on the tip of his nose to which he smiles goofily at and bites his lower lips to keep from laughing at how adorable you are. "You know, letting the baby sleep alone doesn't mean you're going to miss anything. You're still [B/N]'s Dad when they wake up."

The Joker just chuckles, raising his shoulders. "I know, I know... I just don't want to miss a thing."

It's at moments like these where you have to take a mental step back and really marvel at the type of man Sal is, because it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience when you come to understand just how caring he is. It's monumental, something you've always admired about him, since you two began; it's been a long road and never has he taken anything between you for granted.

You kiss him once more, overcome with emotion as your tongue seeks his in a passionate haze you have never been able to describe. Your face is taken in his large hands as Sal kisses you back just as deeply and feel the familiar warmth of his body coming to mesh pleasantly against your own as he takes a step closer. You sigh into him, body folding as if it was always meant to be there with his.

Just as the pair of you begin to descend into something more, the baby starts crying. Sal pulls away with a soft groan, head tilting back with filtered annoyance before he gives you a bashful grin and gestures with his head for you to go back to bed; countless sleepless nights have left you less than awake as you nod and smile gratefully at him.

You giggle as Sal pulls the sobbing baby into his arms.

"I think I like [B/N] better when they're asleep."