TWO

The first few periods were over, and Luke's mind was still imprinted with the idea of the Ashton boy.

Luke wasn't able to stop his fascination with him, and found himself zoning out in class about him.

He had never seen Ashton around before, so maybe he was new? But it was highly unlikely.

Ashton wasn't in any of Luke's classes, so perhaps he was new. The blonde had no clue, but what he did know was that he really wanted to find out more about the shorter boy.

However there was still a major obstacle obstructing him for doing so. And that was his problem with speaking to unfamiliar people.

Therefore, trying to get to know the only boy that hadn't judged Luke for his shyness was going to be impossible.

At least, dreaming was still an option.

"Hey, Luke?"

The blonde broke from his blank stare directed at the table in front of him, and let his eyes look at who the voice belonged to.

He watched as Calum stopped picking at his food with his fork, and how the kiwi boy's eyebrows furrowed as Luke let the silence linger.

"You alright?" Calum asked gently, and Luke looked back down at the table again.

He gave off a small nod and began playing with his fingers.

"Y-Yeah. It's n-nothing." Luke spoke quietly ( well, normally, as "quiet" was Luke's normal form of voice ).

"You sure? You seem kind of... off." Calum asked again, keeping his tone of voice normal.

He knew that if he showed even the smallest amount of aggression or curiosity in his voice, Luke would become paranoid and try and run away.

It had happened so many times, that Calum had officially memorised all the places Luke used to hide himself at school.

"M'fine. Th-thanks for caring though." Luke smiled weakly and Calum nodded slowly.

"No problem. But remember if something happens, you can always tell me." he added, resting his hand on top of Luke's cold ones.

"Of course." Luke spoke, and soon after, the loud bell rang across the lunch hall, and the two teens stood up.

Luke clung onto Calum's shirt, as he scanned around the hall. All the other students were flooding the area, and creating a large crowd that Luke felt immensely small in.

"Don't worry, Luke." Calum whispered, and held Luke's hand, guiding him out of the lunch hall, trying his best to not drag the blonde.

The were finally out of the crowded area, and Luke was still looking around him like a nervous puppy.

"No one's around, Luke." Calum said, reassuringly, and smiled sweetly when Luke nodded in agreement and noticeably calmed down.

Luke's tense muscles became noodle-like again, and he eyed Calum as the boy checked the time.

"Lesson's starting in two minutes." he explained. He stepped forward and gave Luke a hug, engulfing the blonde in his warmth.

He stepped back, and sent a wave before running off, leaving Luke to walk to his class, with his arms wrapped around his stomach.

:::

Luke was sat at the back of the class, scribbling random doodles in his notebook, trying his hardest to block out all the chatter.

The teacher hadn't arrived yet, so the other students were just gabbering away.

Luke, however was just slouched in his chair, not drawing attention to himself. Basically, what he always does.