Illmatic 1

~ The light is from a friend
It's a light that keeps me warm
It lets me know how loved I am
And keeps me safe from harm
To you my friend I am thankful
In each and every way
For you lift my spirits up~

When she's in The Sulks ..

Ever since Pops left my crib the aura and my being has been distraught. I lounged across the couch as I listened to Anita Baker's 'Sweet Love' to calm my werrie mind. When I'm feeling this way I listen to slow jams to keep negative thoughts away. It nurses me back to sanity.

I can't believe that those words left his mouth. "They don't give a shit about you and yo ratchet ass art!" How you know!? How could someone even utter that to your so say 'blood'? Let alone a father to his daughter. If anything he hurt my spirit. You can diss me all day but, don't disrespect my baby. I'm sensitive about my shit! Art is my first love he takes me to places no one has yet to.

I remember when we first met.
It was a painting at mama's house of a rose. Not just any rose though, one that has been unraveled and hurt but, still you could see its beauty. It spoke to me, we made a connection.

~10 yrs back~

"Mama what does this picture mean?" I stared at the rose that sat on my grandma's wall with many other paintings. "What does it mean to you sweets? How does it make you feel?" Her soft voice questioned making me think. "Hmmm, I hummed putting my hands on my hips turning my head to the side, I feel like we have a connection, the rose needs love and care to come back."

After I gave my answer it was quiet for a moment. I turned to look at mama, the look of astonishment was upon her beautiful brown face. "Come here sweet pea." She beckoned. I walked over to her and climbed in her lap on the couch. "A connection huh? Why do you say that?" Mama ran her dainty fingers through my curly tresses. I laid my head on her and hunched my shoulder. "No no, she cooed lifting me up to look at her, don't shut me out sweet pea you can tell me." I sighed I don't know how to express myself. I mean I'm only nine.

"Well, I scratched my nose, I need love and care ... from Pops." Grammy gave me look of 'I wish I knew how to fix this.' "I know baby, ya Pops do love and care for you. He just have a different way of showing it." She justified. "But mama I barely see him, only on Sundays." I shook my head not understanding. "Sweets, don't worry your pretty little head. Ill love you enough for the both of us." Grammy said tickling me. "Mama!" I giggled.

"Back to this picture, do you want to go to this place where there are all kinds of paintings?" My eyes lit up with curiosity and excitement. "Yes!, mama one day I'm going to paint a picture like the rose." She smiled lifting my face up with her hand so that her hazel eyes could look into mine. "Baby girl, you can paint anything your heart desires." "You think so?" I asked playing with the rings on her fingers. "I know so sweetness!" Grammy assured giving my nose a gentle tap. "I love you mama!" I exclaimed hugging her tight. "I love you too, Alijah." Grammy rubbed my back and kissed my forehead. "Can we go to the picture place now?" "Yes go put on your shoes" I hopped down from mama's lap excitedly running to find my shoes. "Can we get ice cream?!"

From that day on mama and I would go to art museums every chance we got. Trekking the streets of New York I would see all kinds of art that quipped my interest. I'm hooked. My grammy, my mama was my everything. She gave me the love that I needed. She was my confidant. After she was mysteriously killed, my life changed drastically. Now I'm here. I miss her dreadfully.

"Ayo Alijah, where you at girl!?" JoJo voice echoed bringing me too again. "Awe hell naw! Why you got the lights on low in this piece? Got the slow jams goin' I know she not in here playin' with her ill na-na." He assumed flipping on the lights. "Shut up B, you stoopid." My voice scratched, I looked him over. JoJo had bags of junk food the whole nine. Just the right medicine for my pity party.

JoJo looked at my face seeing that I had puffy red blood shot eyes and a tear stained face. He dropped everything. "What mark ass nigga do I gotta blast on! What happened?!" His jaw clenched with anger.

JoJo is so protective of me. Its always been like this since we was munchkins. My mama and his grammy were best friends. We been peeps since sandbox days, you know how that go. He been here through it all, I'm grateful for my bro.

"Pops happened." I sighed as he turned the music down. "Word? I already know that nigga was buggin' yo." He walked over to the couch lifting my feet up to sit down. "Break it down for me." I told him everything from me asking Pops about the art gallery to him spazzin'. "Get the fuck outta here! He really pushed you outta the chair!?" "Yea, I bit my lip thinking about it, that's not even it though." "What is it?" His face full of concern. "What he said about my art, you know that's one thing I'm mad sensitive about." His words ringing my memory. A single tear fell from my eye.

"Aww, big baby come here." He pulled me into a comforting embrace. "Word up, you know your work is all dat!" JoJo said encouragingly. "Don't worry about ya pops right now, iight?" He pulled me back looking me in my face. "Iight, no more sappy ass tears." I agreed wiping my face free from them. "He'll come around one day. Alijah don't let Pops get ya down, I'm here to lift ya up feel me?" I smiled "I feel you, B."

"Word is born one day imma peel G muffin cap yo!" JoJo pulled out his nine and cocked it. "He maybe the cream of the crop but, that don't mean shit I'll reach out and touch his ass!" Nigga what?! He wildin'.
We looked at eachother not even a second we bust the fuck up laughing. He know he not gonna blaze on Pops, his love and loyalty too strong. He just talkin' shit. "You gully but you not there yet,chill." I giggled pushing him away from me. "That nigga crazy yo." He wiped tears from his eyes.

"On the real, let me set the mood up in here. You with all this foo foo love shit." He got up to turn the station. "Shut up fool." I popped him in the back of his head. I grabbed a bag of chips out the big bag of snacks JoJo brought.

"Yo, this my shit! This that new joint I was telling you about." He started dancing walking towards me. From first glance you would think JoJo was the type to hold the wall up but , he got the moves. He could of fooled me! "This how shawties be shakin' they romps at parties." He turned around and gyrated in my face. Barely! I bust up laughing. "Eeewww JoJo stop." "Com'mon Alijah I know you wanna bust a move!" He yelled pullin' me up. "Show me whatchu got!" "Iight,iight, geez!" I giggled rolling my eyes. I hit him with 'the troop' and 'the runnin' man.' "Boy I'm all that and a bag of chips!" I stopped posin' for him. JoJo face was saying 'Girl get the fuck outta here!' "You buggin'."

~Its your light of friendship
That gives my world its glow
Its the simple things in life
That are truly unforgettable~

- Alijah

-----------------------------------

That chappie looonnngg.. well to me anyway.

What do you think?

Alijah?

Mama\ Grammy?

JoJo?

Comment ~ Vote ~ Add to your libaries~ it's greatly appreciated.

Alijah & JoJo in mm.

JoJo in the vid .. lol ..
'Che thats the m'f from the mall the other day ? ..

- love ...