Illmatic 2

Yo, just this once

Month in 1\2 later..

He chased her in the ivory moonlight, her ebony curly hair over dark skinned shoulders. A faint smile with a chasing laugh followed on his lips. We ran down by the sandy sweet seaside. The shore called our names and our feet carried us forward. Frothing waves kissed our feet as my hand slid into his. Their roar quitened as we drew near...

The ringing of the housephone knocked me out of my daydream. Only one person could be ringing my line. Pops, since I can't dial out only recieving calls. I know what your thinkin' what if you have an emergency! Yo, thats what they got battery cellies for. Pops words not mine. Ill be a dead mufucka messin' around with him.

I got up from my comfy spot on the couch to answer the tellie.
"Wassup Pops?" I huffed playing with my chipped nails. I need to get these joints redone. "Yo what took you so long to answer the phone! What you doin' over there 'Lijah?!" 'Scuurrr! Hol' up why he call buggin already?! Damn just tell me what you hittin' me up for.'

"Nothin, I mumbled trying to stay kosher, I was in the shower i came as fast as I could, know I'm sayin'?" 'A lie.'

"Geah, but babygirl do you know what day it is?" "Naw, what day is it?" I asked cluelessly, when I really know what day it is. Just jivin' with him. "Why you playin' with me right now?!" He sound disappointed. I rolled my eyes playfully trying not to give myself away. He go from 100 to 0 in seconds.

"Imma whoop yo ass when I see you. You know it's my birthday."
I bust out with giggles. "Happy 40th birthday pops you gettin' old!" "Why you dissin' me?" Pops asked laughing. "Just keepin' it real Pops!" I answered tapping my nails on the counter impatiently.

"Anyway, he chuckles, babygirl I want you to come out to celebrate with me, ahite?"
I took the phone away from my ear and look at it like: 'Why you playin' with me son!'. Im about to get mad emotional! Am I being bamboozled?! Is this my Pops, it cant be? Mr. 'I dont need you leaving out these four walls' headed ass. "Babygirl you there?"
I calm down before putting the phone back to my ear.

"Yeah, geah Im here." I answered trying to act unaffected. "You frontin' on me? Because-" "Naw, Im serious but just this once! Dont make me regret it!" He warned getting on a level six. "My bad, my bad!" I put my hands up in surrender. "You wont Pops I promise." "Alright, your personal stylist Erica should be ova to hook you up in a few."
"Thanks Pops, you know I appreciate this." "Yea thank JoJo." 'My nigga! Thats my dude!'
Jo must of got through to his rockheaded ass. "Word."

"Ahite!, I'll see you. I love you babygirl." "I love you too." "one." He said hanging up. I dropped the phone in shock, screaming out of excitement and joy. This was so unexpected i dont know how to act!

I was in the basement, my place of zen perfecting Pops' present. Pops clearly expressed his abominate dislike for my work. I think he'll like it. A self portrait never hurt nobody. If he doesn't accept it, imma get JoJo to hang it up in his crib. Either way he has no choice, feel me? He gone learn today!

"Aye Alijah!" and the man of the hour arrives. "Down here Jo!" I yelled never taking my attention away from my work as I put the finishing touch on Pops' nose. "What you doin down here B?" He asked running down the stairs. I turned my head to look back at him. "What it look like foo'?" "Let me see" he pushed me out the way. Rudeness.