The Beginning of Darkness

A/N For @espionat because they requested it. Hope it lives up to your expectations!

--------

A full moon rose over the clear, fall-night sky. It started out yellow, and as it went higher it bleached out. A young man sat underneath it, staring up in longing. One green eye covered by a wisp of raven black hair. As the moon grew lager grey fur stared to grow under his checkered green sweatshirt. He had long ago gotten used to the pain as his forearms and wrists grew longer and his hands shrank. Soon all that stood in his place was a grey wolf with a black stripe running from his head down to his tail, forest green eyes staring up at the moon and a pile of clothes sitting all around it.

His green hoodie slid from his shoulders as he stood up. He would be back later to pick them back up. Now, he needed to stretch his legs, before the moon shrank below the horizon again. He had to enjoy it while he could.

Running through the forest, the cold winter air whipping through his hair, the sound of crunching snow beneath his feet and the smell of prey wafting towards him, he couldn't help but grin. It was the most alive he ever felt. Always a time he enjoyed and anticipated. He howled in joy.

As he slowed, he looked around the forest. Just a couple yards away, a rabbit was hopping around a bush, unaware of the wolf standing just a few paces downwind. He grinned and crouched down, starting to stalk towards it. By the time the rabbit realized it was in danger it was too late. He snapped it up and walked off with his prize proudly. Tonight was a great night.