Baby, its cold out

Winter snow had finally started to fall outside, after months and months of nothing but cold and nothing to show from it. At least a foot was piled up outside the door of the small cottage. Flurries drifted down lazily from the grey sky, the worst of the storm having stopped hours ago. And inside the house, a fire burned warmly in the fireplace. The logs inside cracked and hissed as the fire ate away at them. 

The door swung open, letting in a gust of cold, winters wind. It was closed quickly as the man stepped inside. He shook snowflakes from his jacket and pants. Unwinding his scarf, he stepped over towards the hooks hanging on the wall next to the door and took his hat off. He hung both to dry and took off his boots. He brushed a hand through his golden brown hair. 

From the couch in the living room, Crystal watched and smiled. A blanket was draped over her legs, and a book lay in her lap. Her belly was swollen under her red sweater.  A gold ring glinted in the firelight from the fireplace. 

"Find enough wood?" She asked, staring at Budder expectantly. Her nodded and looked over.

"Yea, we've got enough for the whole winter now" He replied with a sniff. His nose was red from the biting wind. "That storm came in fast though. It had barely started when I finished. Luckily Rancune helped keep the horse going straight. She's fierce for being so old"

"Don't count her out yet" Crystal smiled. "She's part wolf. She'll be biting until she's gone" 

Budder nodded and sat in the chair next to her, holding his feet towards the crackling fire. 

"Hey, did you get any letters?" He asked, looking up quickly. She shook her head.

"No, none today. I know you're waiting to hear from your dad though. I'm sure the treaty will go over well with the squids too" She said, smiling gently. "At least the fighting stopped" 

"Yea" Budder replied absentmindedly. "At least that's stopped"

Crystal shifted onto her side and smiled, but worry started to creep over her. 

"Did something happen?" She asked quietly

"No" Budder replied, shaking his head again "It's nothing"

Crystal narrowed her eyes. "Something happened while you were out. What happened?" 

"It's nothing! I promise" He said quickly "I just- might've seen your dad" 

"Which one?" Crystal asked shocked. They had moved out there not only for some alone time, but to get away from each other's families. Mostly, her family. 

"Just Steve" Budder replied "He was passing by. He said he was heading to the village because they called him for a silverfish problem" Crystal sighed and leaned back. 

"That's a lie" She mumbled "He can't stand silverfish, but he cant get rid of them. He's never figured out how to completely get them to leave"

"So- he's not here to get rid of the silverfish?" He asked. He let out a sigh and leaned back in his chair. "I'm sorry, I should've known" 

Crystal smiled a little and sighed. "It's alright. He might be able to find us, but it wont do any harm. If anything, he'll just become annoying" 

Budder laughed, "Yea, yea he would be" He looked out the window and smiled. "He'd probably come every day if I didn't tell him our house was in the opposite direction" 

"You didn't!" Crystal laughed. 

Budder nodded "I did. He'll be looking for a dark wood cottage, with a red tin roof. Not our oak house with maple roofing. It'll be a while until we see him" 

Crystal smiled happily. "I love you"