Alive and Shattered: {Dylan's POV}

This chapter is dedicated to my co writer 2K4M6W7! I'm so excited to continue working with you! Your a great writer!

                                                               Dylan's POV:

The night enveloped me in darkness and the want I felt to go home was strong. My footsteps seemed to echo through the empty streets as I made my way home.  The air was so cold I could see my breath, so I rested my hands in my pockets to keep them warm. Shivering, I hurried along the road, not wanting to stay outside much longer. Hot tea sounded good right about now.

And that's when I heard it. If it hadn't had been so silent on that night I wouldn't have heard it; the sound was just so quiet. But I recognized it quickly.

It was a cry.

I stopped and listened; hoping to hear where it was coming from. I waited a few seconds until I figured out the source of the cry. I turned my attention to the building across the street to see a woman standing on the ledge. My heart broke at the sight of her standing there. I charged across the street, into the building and up the nearest set of stairs.

Normal people would have heard the cry and kept going. But in my life I've had some experience with crying. I could sense the hopeless in her cry. I just had to make sure she didn't do anything stupid like what I had done

I reached the top of the steps and slowly opened the door.The moon shined down on her, and I could see the bottle of Jack Daniels sitting in her hand. She stood on the ledge, staring down at the ground before her. When I realized she hadn’t seen or heard me, I quietly closed the door and cleared my throat. I wanted her to know I was here, so I wouldn’t startle her later. She spun around and stared at me like a deer in headlights.

"Hello." I calmly stated.

"Go away..." She hissed as she spun back around.

"My name is Dylan.” I said as I walked over to the ledge.  “May I sit next to you?" I asked, ignoring her remark. When she didn't respond I stepped up onto the ledge and sat down. She glanced over at me before taking another swig from her bottle.

“What’s your name?” I asked her, taking in her present state with her blonde hair all tangled and her clothes wrinkled.

"What does it matter to you?" She sniffled, looking at me. I didn't say anything and she sighed. Figuring I wouldn’t leave, she sat down next to me.  "Cassie" I smiled at her.

“Nice to meet you Cassie. So tell me, what is a pretty, young lady doing up here this late hour all by herself?” She laughed as soon as I said pretty and took another drink. When she was done she set the bottle in between her legs and wiped away the tears that sat on her cheeks.

"I'm here because I finally thought someone loved me... And guess what!? I was wrong." She yelled causing more tears to rush to her eyes.

“Why do you say finally?”

"My boyfriend and I got into a fight over his parents. They don't like me because I'm not from a rich background and because I didn't go to Harvard or something like that.... They think i'm some worthless piece of trash. And he thinks they're right"

“He was just angry. He didn’t mean any of it” I protested. She looked down at the bottle and began to twist it around in her hand.

"I thought he'd be the one, you know? The one person that everyone dreams about. I thought he'd be the one person that was meant to be with me. But clearly after tonight all he thinks I am is garbage" She stopped and looked to me. "And maybe that's exactly what I am?"

"Cassie, I just met you, but I don't think you are garbage. Everybody gets angry and says things they don't mean. I'm sure he loves you! And doesn't think that about you"

"What would you know about love!?" She snapped.

"I know a lot about love!" I yelled back; she had hit a nerve. Cassie frowned and I immediately apologized.

"What do you mean?" She wondered. I sighed and looked down at the walkway below us.

"It's a long story..." I objected. Telling the story was so painful. Too many emotions overcome me at the thought so I try to avoid talking about it. She huffed.

"You're lying. You don't really know." I glared at her.

"I do, Cassie."

“Fine! I have all the time in the world. Go ahead.” I could hear it in her voice. She didn’t believe that I knew something about love.

But I knew.

I knew that she would understand soon. She would see how you can find love as easily as you can lose it.

"Okay... It was a few years ago. We were Seniors in high school and all we could think about was freedom..."