Alive and Shattered: Chapter Twelve {Adena's POV}

Thanks so much to wurtle for the amazing banner on the side!      

Adena’s POV

My hand slowly started to shake as I read the text message I had sent to Dylan a couple minutes ago.

'Hey Dylan! You'll never guess what's on. Paul Blart! Want to come over and watch it?'

I watched as the words ‘read at 12:32PM’ appeared at the bottom of my text. Soon a bubble popped up, symbolizing he was replying. My palms started to sweat; nervous about his response.

Why was I so nervous?

I’M ON MY WAY.... in 10 minutes

I laughed at Dylan’s response and ran upstairs, trying to get ready as fast as I could. I slowed down, after almost tripping at the top of the steps. I wanted more than anything to just sit at home and do nothing this weekend, but I owed Dylan so much.

The other day, him defending me; it was something I couldn't put in the past. He considered us friends, meaning I was going to do the same thing.

After changing into a pair of jeans and a white t shirt, I grabbed a hair tie. I spent the next couple minutes deciding on whether or not to leave my hair up. Before I could make a final decision, I heard the doorbell ring. My heart stopped and I took in a deep breath before heading down the steps. I stood at the front door for a moment, hand on the knob.

I found myself too nervous to turn it.

Taking another deep breath, I opened the door to reveal Dylan standing there. His eye wasn't swollen like I had thought it'd be, but it was still bruised. The cut on his lip was still like it had been yesterday. But even though he was injured, he still managed to send me the sweetest smile.

"Come on in," I smiled back, letting him inside. He came in and looked around for a moment, admiring the house. I closed the door behind him but I wasn't sure what to do next. "Do you... uh... want something to drink?"

"Sure! Thanks," I disappeared into the kitchen, rummaging through the fridge. I grabbed two cokes and headed to the living room. I found Dylan lying down on my couch. I tossed him a coke and he caught it.

"Nice catch," I stated lamely. I turned the tv on and changed it to the channel the movie was on. It was the part where Blart talked about peanut butter. I thought back to our talk in class which only made the joke funnier. We sat through the whole movie together in an awkward silence. The only noise ever made was our occasional laughter. I switched the TV off when the movie had ended and we sat there in awkward silence.

"That was a good movie as usual," Dylan stated into the air; making it seem even more awkward.

"Uh...." I found myself saying while shaking. I was so nervous I could barely breathe. "Yeah," I stared at the blank tv screen; wishing I knew what to say. I don't know why I was so nervous. I hadn't felt this nervous around anyone before. My palms were sweaty as I took a sip from my coke. I was so lost in my thoughts that when the door opened and rowdy boys with loud voices came stomping in; I jumped.

"Hey!" Grady greeted Dylan as soon as he saw him. "What are you doing here?"

"Just watching a movie," he nodded. Grady looked at the TV. "Dylan, the tv is off. How are you watching a movie?” He questioned with a puzzled look. Quinton smacked Grady, laughing at him.

"The movies obviously over."

"Oh," Grady replied sheepishly. "That makes sense.”

"Hey, were about to go play COD, you in?" Quinton asked Dylan.

"Oh, Yeah! I am in." Dylan paused and looked at me. "Is that okay?"

"Yeah! Of course, go ahead!" I smiled as he ran off with Quinton.

"Hey I will be there in a second, but I call the white remote!" Grady yelled.

"Whatever! First there first choose!" Quinton screamed back at him.

"Quinton, its first come first serve, so that doesn't make sense." Dylan said with a laugh.

"You know what I mean!” The sounds of their footsteps echoed as they descended up the stairs. I roughly ran my hand over my face, feeling any sense of nervousness wash away. “You alright?” Grady asked, plopping down on the couch beside me.

“I’m fine,” I replied, setting my hand down by my side.

“Did you invite Dylan over? Or did he just show up?”

“I invited him… I felt bad about him defending me the other day and tried to make it up to him but I just completely made myself look like an idiot.”

“Adena, come on. He hangs out with Quinton and I, he knows what idiots look like,” I laughed at his remark and he chuckled along with me. “At least you're trying to be friends with him!”

“Yeah yeah,” I said with a frown.

“Hey! Cheer up! Smile!” Grady said, tapping my knee before getting up and heading upstairs. I decided to turn the TV back on and I started to watch a movie. The whole time I could hear the boys rambunctious yells. After an hour or two their footsteps erupted throughout the house and I turned around. Dylan came downstairs first, followed closely by Grady and Quinton.

“I’ll see you guys,” Dylan said, giving both Grady and Quinton one of those awkward high five hugs. Grady and Quinton disappeared into the kitchen and I rose from the couch. Walking around to the front door, I opened it for him.  “Thanks for having me over.”

“No problem, thanks for coming.” I smiled as he stepped foot outside. He started towards his car but I had something I needed to tell him. “Dylan,” He turned around, raising an eyebrow.

“What's up?” He questioned.

“Just because you fought over me the other day doesn't mean you have to be friends with me. I mean if you don’t want to just tell me…. I don’t want to force you to.”

“Hey,” he said, coming over to me. He put a hand on my shoulder. “I like to hang out with you. I think you’re a great friend,” I sent him a huge smile, his words made me so happy. He set his hand down and smiled, then made his way to his car. I walked inside and shut the door behind me, turning to go sit down on the couch.

Standing there with incredibly stupid looks on their faces were Grady and Quinton.

“What?” I questioned.

“He likes you!” Grady screamed. He and Quinton started to jump up and down, yelling with excitement.