Alive and Shattered: Chapter Seventeen {Dylan's POV}

Dylan’s POV

I flipped through the channels mindlessly, desperate for something to watch. There was a strange amount of cooking shows on at 5pm.

I finally settled on an episode of Supernatural. It was, after all, one of the best TV show’s on the planet. It was better than watching some chick make food that I’d never be able to eat. That’s just torture right there.

A small knock sounded at the door. I looked towards it, wondering who could be at the door. I assumed I had only imagined the knock. But when it sounded again, I saw it was time to investigate.

I rose from the couch, headed to the door, and slowly opened it. Standing there, drenched from the rain, was Adena.

“Adena?” I questioned.

“Hi,” she replied with a sniffle.

“Come in,” I said, stepping out of her way. She walked into the house, head down. I closed the door and looked towards her, now seeing her red eyes. “What’s wrong?” I questioned. She bit the bottom of her lip as her face began to scrunch up.

“I...My mom…” She began, choking on her own words. “Kicked me out of the house.”

“Adena,” I found myself whispering, thinking it would somehow comfort her. In that moment she did something completely unexpected. She walked towards me, slammed her face against my chest, and wrapped her arms around me.

She began to sob uncontrollably. At first I stood there, shocked. Adena had never shown me this kind of affection before. She has only ever given me a high five. But soon a strong feeling of desire filled my body. I wanted nothing more than to comfort her. 

 And that’s exactly what I did.

I wrapped my arms around her and began rocking from side to side slowly.

“Shhh,” I whispered, rubbing my arm up and down her back. “It’s okay,” I set my chin on top of her head. Hearing her cries broke me. I wanted to make them stop but every time I even thought of pulling away, something inside of me couldn’t let go. “It’s okay,” I whispered again.

“Stop saying that!” She responded, angrily.

“Just calm down, everything’s going to be okay.”

“Stop saying that!” She yelled, pulling away from me. Breaking away from that hug was more difficult than I had thought. “Stop saying everything's going to be okay! How do you know that? For you it’ll be! Because your Dylan Henderson! And life just… works out for you! But what about lonely little Adena Serre! Huh? You don’t know if it’s going to be okay! Stop saying it!”

Her outburst was so unexpected I stood there for a moment, startled. She ran a hand through her hair, fueled by anger. But soon it turned into pure sadness and she broke down a second time. Crying, she crashed onto her knees.

“She hates me,”

“No, she doesn't,” I said, attempting to comfort her.

“She does!” She yelled back. “She thinks I’m a failure! She doesn't even consider me her daughter! Do you know what that’s like?”

“Adena, you need to calm down,” I whispered, not enjoying seeing her this angry and upset. I sat down next to her as she cried out. I felt utterly helpless in this situation, I had no way to make her feel better.

“No, I can’t! I wish I could be the perfect little robot she’s always wanted. I want more than anything to….” She buried her face in her hands and began crying again. “I’m a failure,” she sobbed over and over. I felt like my own heart was breaking slightly. I  put my arms around her again, feeling warmth in her embrace. “I’m trying,” she cried out. “I’m trying so hard to make everyone happy! But I can’t do it. Because the more I try, the more miserable I become.”