Alive and Shattered: Chapter Thirteen {Adena's POV}

This chapters dedicated to MeexicanUnicorns for the amazing trailer on the side!

Adena’s POV

I barely heard Lizzy and Ross talk about their project. All I could think about was the fact that Dylan and I were up next and our friendship was moving fast. I was surprised that I trusted him this much when it took me forever to trust Grady. I didn’t know how to explain it to myself let alone the class.

Mrs. Bridges wanted us to give the whole class an update on the project. Meaning I had to get up, stand in front of the whole class, and talk. There was so many opportunities for me to be made fun of.

Not only that but my biggest tormentors, Kyleigh and Brooke, would be sitting there laughing. No doubt they would relay everything that happens to Jackie who would kick my butt! My hands started shaking and my palms grew sweaty. 

"Adena," Dylan whispered; startling me. "Are you okay?"

"I can't go up there," I found myself whispering in response.

"Why not?" I looked around the room.

"I'll screw up, they'll... they'll laugh at me," Dylan glanced around.

"It will be okay. I will do the talking. Don't worry."

"But I still have to stand there," I whispered, wanting nothing more than to be home with my razor.

"Adena, don't care about what they think," Easier said than done.  "Just find something on the wall to look out and count to fifty. I'll talk.”

I took a deep breath and nodded; deciding not to argue with him. Lizzy and Ross finished as Mrs. Bridges signaled to Dylan and I that it was our turn. "Come on," he whispered as we got up. The students clapped enthusiastically as we walked up to the podium. I looked around at the students, all of them staring me down. "Well! Our projects coming along!" Dylan nodded.

As Dylan started talking, my eyes found Kyleigh and Brooke. They were snickering and glaring at the same time; making me want to crawl into a hole and die. I stared at the ground as Dylan continued.

"I've found out a lot about Adena. She's a really interesting person! She's nice, funny," I looked up at him "Has a horrible taste in football teams," I found myself giggling. "Is a nurse in training and overall a great friend," he looked to me and we exchanged smiles.

As he talked, it brought on the memories of those times.

 "That's it," he shrugged. The class clapped as he moved from behind the podium and I could finally breathe again.

It was over.

"Adena," Mrs. Bridges called. My heart stopped and for a second, I couldn't breathe. "We'd like to hear your side of the project," my heart stopped. All I could think about was the fact that they were going to laugh at me. Dylan smiled and nodded at me; encouraging me. I walked back to the podium; my hands sweating like crazy.

"Uhmm...." I whispered, trying to keep my hand from shaking like crazy. I looked around the room at all the faces staring at me. "I uh...I....uh...I think things are going good...." I looked at my hands. "There is more to Dylan than people think..."

Keeping my head down, I walked back to my desk. Applause started slowly and only a few people clapped, making me feel horrible about myself. I sat down in my desk and buried my face in my hands.