Alive and Shattered: Chapter Twenty Three {Dylan's POV}

Dylan’s POV

I strolled through the hallway on my way to my third period, math. I was thinking about Adena though. She hadn’t been at school today. In first period, Ms. Bridges announced the project weeks were over. It was now essay writing time.

I knew the essay part would be easy. We would for sure get an A on it. I had already started honestly. There was just so much to write, I had to start early. Adena was just...something else. She was so unique, I had to make the essay of her special.

Just thinking about Adena made me smile. But, as always, Jackie crept into my mind. I felt horrible being unfaithful to Jackie. She deserved more than I was giving her. I mean, she does so much for me. I don't know what I would have done without her help.

Turning the corner, I spotted Quinton and Grady walking. Jogging to catch up to them, I caught the end of their conversation:

"I like the pink dress better than the blue," Coming in between them, wrapping my arms around there shoulders, I laughed.

"Dress shopping are we boys?" I teased, moving my arms off them.

"Oh shut up," Quinton laughed. "Were talking about a present for Adena's birthday."

"Birthday?" I questioned. "When is it?"

"Today."

"So why didn't she show up on her birthday?" I said, confused.

"She's afraid someone will find out and embarrass her in front of everyone.”

"Oh, well, no one would do that. Where is she now? At home?"

"Yeah, she's at home. It's like my mom's biggest present for her or something," Quinton shrugged, going into a classroom. I stared at Quinton's back. I still couldn't believe the way Mrs. Sierre treated Adena.

I found a smile creep on my face as I thought of the perfect birthday gift her Adena. It would go nicely with Quinton and Grady's.

"What are you planning?" Grady questioned. Startled, I glanced at Grady.

"I guess you will have to wait and see." I smiled and walked into the classroom.

*Two hours later*

I pulled up to Adena's driveway, looking at the balloons sitting in the passenger seat. I wanted to do something nice for her birthday, but then again, I felt like I shouldn't be here.

Usually Jackie and I sat together for lunch, but I skipped out on lunch to visit Adena. I felt like I was betraying Jackie. I knew she would be upset. But then again, Jackie wasn't at lunch half the time.