Alive and Shattered: Chapter Two {Adena's POV}

Cover on the side made by ariestrash(:

                                                          Adena's POV

Thunder rolled in the distance while the smell of rain filled the air. I walked up the stairs to the big mahogany wooden double doors of the church. I grabbed onto the handle and pulled it open, seeing the door was heavier than I had expected.

The church was practically empty, minus the three people inside. I slowly started to step forward, feeling the cold tile against my feet. My steps echoed through the church as I passed row after row of empty pews.

Two people sat in the front pews. I couldn’t see their faces due to the fact that they were buried inside two cell phones. I glanced up at the priest.

“She was... Nothing. Nothing to anyone.” He spoke. I turned to the two in the pew and whispered:

“Excuse me?” They didn’t answer. “Hello?” I said, a little louder. But again, no response.

“She was lonely. Never had anyone to care for her.”  

“Excuse me, father?” But the priest continued to describe who ever he was talking about. “Hello! Can anyone hear me?” I shouted. I was disappointed to hear no response. I looked behind the priest and to the open casket that stood behind him.

My feet started to move themselves toward the casket, and I followed. I took my steps slowly as I approached the coffin. I felt bad for whoever was lying there... dead. Apparently no one cared enough for them. Only two people showed up, they’re not really paying attention, and the priest has been bad mouthing them the whole time.

“But her death wasn’t a tragedy. It was...” The priest paused as I peeked into the casket. A gasp escaped my lips as I stared at the face; my face. “A blessing.”

I sat upright with a scream that could scare the boogeyman as the nightmare became reality. Surprisingly, no one came pounding into my room with a bat or a pan. I was drenched in sweat; my hair matted to the back of my neck. The person in the casket was me. I felt another scream wanting to come, so I bolted out of bed and tried to think happy thoughts before I woke every person in the neighborhood.

I looked towards the alarm clock that sat on the nightstand; it was 3:40AM. I sighed, not looking forward to school tomorrow... or well today. Trying to stay awake in class would be a nightmare.

My heart was still pounding rapidly from the dream and no matter how hard I tried to calm myself down, I just couldn’t. The priest’s words were still ringing in my ears. I needed something to distract myself.

That’s when the tub of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream ran through my mind. Ice cream was always an amazing way to calm down my nerves. I silently opened my door, crept down the stairs, and flicked on the switch in the kitchen.

I glanced around as though someone were watching me and almost laughed; but the nightmare was still fresh in my mind and allowed no laughter. I quietly tip-toed to the freezer and grabbed the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Next to the fridge, was the drawer of utensils, so I grabbed a large metal spoon and stood by the counter to begin my calming of the nerves...with ice cream.

The taste of the ice cream melting in my mouth was wonderful; it calmed me down right away; but I was still wary. Why was I in the casket? Why was it me? Why? Tears threatened to spill as thoughts filled my mind. I continued stuffing my mouth with ice cream; wanting the taste to take away my thoughts.