Alive and Shattered: Chapter One {Adena's POV}

Thank you so much to HSslacker for the cover! I love it so so much! Thank you thank you thank you! 

                                          Adena’s POV:

Have you ever been surrounded by familiar faces and felt like you didn’t belong? Have you ever felt like a weed in a bed of roses? Each rose is beautiful and blooming with life while you're hanging on and slowly dying?

That’s how I felt everyday I stepped foot into Barmont High. I felt like a disgusting weed. While everyone else around me was blossoming and thinking about having the time of their lives, I’m just sitting there, thinking about jumping off a bridge.

 And trust me that’s not how I wanted my life to be. I always imagined I’d be a doctor or a ballerina.

 But life was full of disappointments.

A quiet sigh escaped my lips as I walked into the building with my head down to avoid eye contact. Past experience has taught me it was the best way to go unnoticed. Even though I’m silent on the outside, thoughts were always churning in my mind; depressing thoughts about the disappointments I faced everyday.

Thoughts that took everything inside of me to force back the tears that threatened.

I took a deep breath, walking promptly to my first period. Letting my chestnut brown hair cover my eyes, I moved around students and walked into the classroom, taking a seat in my assigned desk.

I sat back, silently, and watched as the number of students in the classroom slowly increased. At the sound of the bell, the remaining students all seemed to rush to their seats in haste. Some students began to talk to each other as Mrs. Bridges slowly entered the room.

She set down some folders, which are overflowing with papers, and stretched her arms before making her way to the small wooden podium in the front of the classroom.

“Alright guys,” Mrs. Bridges yawned. Even though she was a smaller woman with a kind face, her voice could travel through the whole room and demand attention from whomever she wanted. So, as usual, the class fell silent immediately. “So, in a little over two months you’ll be graduating!”

Some students cheered while she chuckled and continued.

“Some of you have had senioritis since the start of this school year... James...” She turned her attention to him and he only burst into fits of laughter. “And you’ve been taking and learning the same things in your English classes since middle school. I know some of the other teachers are giving their students vocabulary or a book to read, but me? I am giving you a project.”

“What?!” James yelled, causing laughter to erupt.

“Calm down guys! It’s a laid back project that, if completed, will get you a one hundred percent. It’ll also boost up some grades which can’t hurt right?”

 “What do we have to do?” Someone shouted out.

"I was getting to that,” she laughed. “In life you're going to meet a lot of people. Some friends and some not. But you're going to have to develop certain social skills to be able to do this.” I silently gulped at the thought of doing a project that demanded social skills. “This project is going to be starting on Monday and will continue to the end of the year. I’ll give you all the information on Monday. But I’m going to tell you now your not going to chose your partner.” The class moaned in annoyance so she held up her hand to silence them. “It get’s better! We’ll be picking names from a hat!” My whole world stopped in that moment as my hands started to shake wildly.