Chapter 6. The Game We Play

The Polestar, which we knew by the huge letters in the entrance, was full of wonders. I didn't even know how to describe it, arrays and arrays of shops and stores were situated in it. It's a large shopping district where many tourists visit.

We decided to just go to the biggest shopping mall on the heart of it all. We wore caps again and kept our heads down most of the time in case someone would recognize us.

We headed immediately to a familiar fastfood restaurant inside the mall and ordered foods together. He paid for it, not expecting me to chip in. In fact, he didn't really tell me to bring my own money when we were doing the planning on the phone. Could it be he's expecting I didn't have any cash for emergencies or what? Ugh, puzzles.

By the time we got our food, we found our table and settled in there.

"I figured now why Phil told us we can buy food if we want," I told Alex.

"Why is that?" he asked preparing to dig in.

"I rummaged his fridge and found nothing to eat. I checked his pantry, still nothing. No chips, nothing whatsoever..." I said. "Does he even eat?"

"He does, but he told me he doesn't cook his food. He usually eats in restaurant or somewhere else," he said calmly.

"Does this mean we're going to go out every now and then just to eat? I don't even do that in Grandville."

"Seriously?" he asked. "We could always do the grocery." Oh right. Stupid. But I wonder who's going to cook. Well, obviously not me. He's going to have to do it himself.

"So, Alex," I said calling his attention again. "What do we do now? Now that we're free and you know," I asked.

"Take a break. Rest and Relax. Enjoy Heatherfield. Stuffs."

"That was it? And this goes on until when?"

"'Til I get bored." He was answering me in a way that he's not really interested.

"'Til you get bored, huh? What about me?"

"What about you? Look Jaz, let's just go with the flow and see where this might lead us. Don't rush things. For now, I'm just truly happy that I'm free as a bird," he said and took a long sip on his coke.

Summer Great Escape

After eating, we decided to stroll and explore the mall. Every so and then, I notice some girls staring at us. Well, I was actually used to this whenever I'm with Alex. I knew why they're staring at us. Yep, you got it. It's Alex-dear here. So to piss them off, it's sort of my habit, I simply looped my arm around his and walked side by side with him. He didn't mind though. I bet he's used to it too because he knew why I'm doing this.

"You never get tired of this game, do you?" he asked without even looking at me. By this time, we were looking at some gadgets displayed in a shop. He was trying the iMac displayed and clicking some random things. While he's doing that, I looked around and found this girl with a frustrated look. Back off, bit.ch, this one's mine. And I mentally laughed an evil one.

But I did laugh casually. "No. It was just so fulfilling and fun to see them getting disappointed and pissed," I said. "But I do get tired of those looks they throw at you as if you're some eye candy when you're not."

"I am an eye candy," he boasted.

"No, you're an eye sore." I said and he said nothing. We got tired of looking at the gadgets so we left the place and started to move around. This time though, he removed his arm from mine and I thought he planned on walking ahead but to my surprise, he placed his hand around my waist hugging me closer. I was stunned and confused for a moment. I didn't know why, it's not like he did this for the first time. Why am I suddenly nervous? Ugh, nevermind. This was all an act so I let it go and let him do his own charade. I'm used to this, right? Or am I, really?