Chapter 20. The Kiss 3.0

"So, what was your idea of date had I agreed to go out with you?" I asked Brian when we were having dinner.

It wasn't that bad spending the whole day with him. I meant we spent it as friends, no whatsoever involved. He cracked some jokes, told stories about his past and shared some of the nasty things he did back in high school. I wanted to tell him mine too but I can't. I was afraid I'd just slip and tell him why we're here in the first place. So whenever he told me it's my turn, I just shrugged and told him I hadn't done anything of the sort. And that my life was boring. Thankfully, he bought my lies which made me guilty of course.

"I was thinking maybe we could go sightseeing and maybe clubbing," he said. "Our city has a lot to offer and there are great clubs in The Polestar."

Clubbing...reminds me of that night which started this whole thing. Well, at least on my part.

He misinterpreted my silence and asked, "Why? You've never been to a club before? Never experienced the party?"

"Hn. Only a few times," I admitted. "But it's been a while since I've been to one." The last time I was there was maybe two months ago but the result still stung.

"Do you wanna go there with me?" he offered.

I eyed him. I just refused him a while ago, didn't I?

"Just to hang out. It's not gonna be a date," he assured me.

"Just hanging out? Nothing else?"

"Nothing else," he confirmed.

Well, I knew my last visit there was a mess but damn... it's been a while. I missed dancing, the music blasting in every corner, the party, the drinks... Jasmine! I thought you're so over this thing! You promised your parents, right?!

Right, I looked like some kind of stupid having a monologue.

"Okay, I'm in," I said before I could stop myself. It's a minute later when I realized what I've done and wanted to take back what I said. I bit my lip. I never learn my lesson, do I?

SUMMER ESCAPADE

"The way you look at Brian is like you're going to strangle the life out of him when you get the chance," said a voice beside me. It was Anna.

"Sure," I said taking a sip from my drink.

"I wonder what he's done," she mused. "They look cute together, don't they? I really wish they'd end up together. I wanted Jaz to be my sister."

The subjects of our conversation were just a few feet away from us – having fun while I was in misery. I tried to be calm.

"Why are you here anyway? Telling me all these?" I asked her. Because it's weird that I was just quietly having my own dinner and then she's here to disturb me.

"Just to wake you up. You've been obsolete for a while."

"What?" I eyed her confused. Obsolete? That's good as dead.

She shrugged. "C'mon. We both know you like Jaz. What's stopping you?"

I was dumbfounded. How did she know I like Jaz? Was I that transparent? "What are you talking about?" I asked.

She laughed lightly. "Stop playing dumb, Alex. It's not doing you any favor."

"Whatever," I said dismissing it. "You know what, I don't get you. You're insisting that I like Jaz while saying your brother and Jaz look cute together. Having mental problems?"