Chapter 16. The Siblings

Monday finally came which meant it's our first day of work. I was kind of excited because it's my first time to work and earn. I can't wait to have my salary and know how it feels to spend them. Sorry, just getting excited.

Ms. Aldana, who was the HR officer we met last time, gave us further instructions about our job. She showed us our quarters (which from now on Alex and I will be separated as I'll be sleeping with other girl employees) and our post during pool attending. She did a short briefing on what to do here and there.

The job was fairly simple as we're just going to check the customer's needs and hand them whatever they need – be it towels, lotions, etc. But this depended on the number of customers. It's gonna be handy if a lot of customers need assistance.

Then she also handed us our uniforms – sky blue collared shirt and a pair of khaki shorts. Their logo was printed on the left part of the shirt right on the chest. I liked it.

After putting them on, we went back to the lobby where the rest of the resort staff were waiting for further orientation. Some managed to utter a short greeting, some didn't bother. Ms. Aldana asked if we had more questions which we didn't have any so she dismissed us right away which was our cue to go to our post and start our work. Stoked!

SUMMER ESCAPADE

Alex and I were on the process of making ourselves comfortable with our work when I realized it's not that easy tending to the different needs of the customers. And damn, I wasn't used to serving the needs of others. Others served for me and not the other way around! If this was a charity work or a community service I used to join, I'd freakin' understand and easily get used to it. But this? I don't know.

"You okay?" Alex asked as I wiped some sweat on my forehead, exhaustion clearly plastered on my beautiful face. What I didn't expect was when he started wiping those sweat with his hankie. Wait, what? Did Alex just do what he just did?

"Yeah," I said anyway trying to play it cool. "Thanks."

He shrugged as if it was nothing. "That was 5% of your salary."

My jaw dropped in disappointment. "Seriously?"

He fell into laughter at my reaction. "Just kidding, dummy," he said and ruffled my hair. And before I could say anything, a guy and a girl about our age approached us. If I remember it correctly, they were with us in the orientation earlier.

"Hey, so you two are new here as well?" asked the guy. They looked the same – him and the girl he's with, I meant. I'm betting one of my precious pairs of shoes back home that these two are siblings.

"Yeah, we are," Alex answered.

"That's great. My sister and I are also new with this thing," he said and I stopped the squeal coming out from me because my guess was right. "You know, summer job," he added needlessly for explanation. And by the way, he was looking at me the entire time even though it was Alex he was talking to.

"Oh," was all Alex could say.

"By the way, I'm Brian and this is my sister, Anna," he said introducing themselves finally tearing his gaze away from me.

I looked at the girl he's with and sized her up and realized she's no Melissa. You know what I mean. By the looks of her, I think we can get along well. She seemed nice.

"Hi," she meekly said.

"Alex," he said as he was accepting Brian's hand for a shake. "And this is Jaz, my—"