Best friends

By Joona Irene

~~still Lilac POV~~

        "You aren't tired?"
        "Nah."
        "But it's getting really late." I said.
        "I could stay up all night." Bipper said, yawning. We were lying on the ground staring up at the stars. A cloud would pass by now and then but aside form that the skies were clear and penetrating.
        "So this is what you do all night?" he asked me. "You don't do anything else, ever?"
        "Nope."
        "Weird."
        "I guess."
        "So you never sleep."
        "I do sometimes."
        "But not on a regular basis?'
        "Not in my design. I did sleep recently though."
        "When?"
        "The first time I met you. remember that? You had me pinned against the tree and I fell on the ground?"
        "Oh yeah...heh, good times."
        "That was yesterday. Or, two days ago, if it's past midnight."
        "It is."
        "Then it was two days ago."
        "So wait, that was sleep? But you were just unconscious, weren't you?"
        "It's the closest I can get to sleep."
        "I see."
It was quiet after a while, but I could tell he was restless. We laid side by side on our backs, the longish grass tickling at our skin. A cool breeze swept by making me smile.
        "What?" he asked.
        "Uh, nothing." I replied. "I didn't do anything..."
        "You smiled."
        "I'm happy."
        "Why?"
        "Because I felt a nice breeze just now."
        "...And that makes you happy?"
        "Yes."
        "I've noticed you enjoy temperatures a lot, specifically colder ones. Why is that?"
        "I don't know." I shrugged. "Why do some people prefer one color over another?"
        "Hey, yellow is great." he argued.
        "Yeah, I guess." I smiled again.
        "Do you prefer one color over another?" he asked me.
        "...Yeah, I think so."
        "What, you aren't sure?"
        "Well, there are a lot of colors."
        "Okay, well, which one?"
        "I guess if I really thought about it..."
        "Come on!"
        "I really like...oh geese...I suppose I really enjoy a good deep red."
        "Why's that?"
        "Because on Bayllo they don't have much red. Even their blood isn't red, it's blue. No red flowers, no red fruit...no red fur or feathers."
        "So no red?"
        "Well, there is a tree who's bark, when ground up to a dust and a bit of water is poured on it, becomes red. But, yeah, no red."
        "Weird."
        "I suppose."
        "Lilac, why did you decide to be friends with me?"
I turned my head from the sky and looked at Bipper who was staring at me, probably the entire time. His face was relaxed and expectant.
        "Because I am tired of pretending. Lying. I'm tired of fighting myself, and never getting to choose something that would make me feel good, something that would last longer than a lifetime."
        "Because you're immortal right?"
        "Right." I said, looking back at the stars. "Every good choice that I make I make for the good of mankind. I am always having to trip over myself to make sure that I don't screw up the planet again. I guess I got tired of being cautious. Maybe I'll regret it..." I shrugged. "But I've learned to live with my mistakes."
        "Do you think that I'm a mistake?" Bipper asked, eyes wide.
        "I don't know yet." I replied.
        "Hm." Bipper said, but he didn't seem upset. "Hey, want to hang out again tomorrow?"
        "Sure." I said. He grinned widly.
        "Excellent!" He said. "Meet me by the arcade after you eat something big at around noon, okay?"
        "...Uh, okay." I said. An odd request, but alright. I don't see any harm in it.
        "Perfect." he said, getting up. He stood and brushed himself off. I propped myself up on my elbows as he started to walk away. As he was walking he turned and waved goodbye. I waved back and, once he was out of sight, I laid back on the ground. Through the rest of the night I traced the path of the stars and sighed happily.
        It felt nice to be myself.