What did we miss?

By Joona Irene

~~still Dipper POV~~

        It was quiet for a long time while Lilac stared at my arm. Her grip was slowly tightening over time, until at last I was trying to tell her she needed to let go.
        "Lilac..." I squirmed. She was strong, like, really strong. "You're starting to hurt me."
She didn't seem to hear me. Her eyes were wide and full of something, like she was staring at more than just a few words. It was something more than that, like a message. But what did it mean?
        "Lilac please," I begged, snapping my fingers in front of her eyes. "Could you let go now?"
        "Hey Lilac?" Mabel finally spoke up. "Everything okay?"
Lilac didn't say anything, but she moved her eyes up to mine and let go of my arm. I held it close to me, rubbing the sore spots.
        "You said Bill did this?" Lilac asked. I nodded.
        "Yeah." Mabel said.
        "That's low." Lilac growled. "Really, really low. I can't believe it."
        "Why? What does it mean?" I asked, reading it again. "What is it?"
        "It's..." then she sighed and laid down on the ground, flat on her back.
        "It's sleepy?" Mabel asked. Lilac briefly smiled before looking back up at the sky, solemnly.
        "You know, Mr. Cipher's here." Lilac pointed to the tree tops. "Do you guys really want to know?" her head turned and looked at us. I sat down, legs crossed, and smiled.
        "Totally." I said. Mabel followed me and grinned.
        "Alright. Well, I'm the mirror." Lilac pointed to herself.
        "Yeah, he told us." I said. Lilac nodded.
        "Okay, so, you know about the other dimensions right?"
        "Mostly...?" I said, thinking hard. "I mean, I know of them. Just that they are all the same Earth, but like, at different points of time." I spoke rushed, like my mouth was trying to run off my face.
        "Geeze Dipper." Mabel rolled her eyes.
        "Okay, and I've been all over the world too." Lilac said. I nodded, none of this was new to me. Lilac sighed.
        "So, well, think about it."
Huh?
        "What do you mean?" I asked.
        "I've been everywhere." Lilac said. "Literally, the past, here, the future. I know what's going to happen, what already happened, and what hasn't happened or ever will. Wars that have and haven't been waged, people who will and won't live. Technologies that will come to light in five years, and some that won't be invented for decades. And it isn't ever set in stone, either. Like, how am I supposed to remember all of that? Well, I don't, I forget things!" Lilac sat up, yelling at the sky. Or maybe Bill. Or maybe both.
        "And see, that's his point, Bill's point." Lilac continued. "A reflection means I represent the event, or, whatever. I...I..." she stopped suddenly, and I could tell she was having a difficult time trying to say what was on her mind.
        "What's his point?" I asked her, scooting closer.
        "His point is that I don't belong in a little town like this, pretending to be human." Lilac choked out. "And, it's terrible, because part of me knows he's right, and that makes me angry because I don't want him to be right. I sometimes forget where I've been..." she looked at her fingers, then tugged gently at the sweater. "This fabric is rather soft." she almost whispered.
        "Lilac, if you don't like pretending, then just be yourself!" Mabel said. "Even though you look kind of scary, if pretending to be human makes you feel bad, then-"
        Suddenly Mabel was asleep. Asleep on her feet. Lilac looked up fast, and went to her side. I was right behind her.
        "Mabel?" I asked, shaking her.
        "Bill, get out of her!" Lilac screamed. "Get out of her right now!" she slapped Mabel, hard, trying to wake her up.
        "Hey!" I said, "Don't hurt her! That's still Mabel!"
        "If he doesn't get out of her soon she won't be." Lilac said gravely. "Bill! Bill, freaking, Cipher get out of her mind!" Lilac shook Mabel again, causing her head to flop downwards.
        "Lilac, we have to follow him." I said quickly, pulling out the journal. I looked for the incantation that would allow us to follow him into her mind.
        Mabel's mind...ugh. What would we find in there?
I was about to start chanting when Lilac stopped me.
        "Dipper wait..." Lilac said, putting her hand on mine. "I'm not sure I can. No brain remember? You'll be alone I think...I don't know if...well, I might hurt her if I do."
        "You already slapped her." I snapped. Lilac grimaced.
        "I panicked." she said. "I remembered what happened to you last time...I didn't want that to happen."
        "Whatever." I said, still a little peeved.
        "Dipper, hold up." Lilac said, stopping me for a second time. I clenched my teeth tightly, a little annoyed now.
        "What?"
        "Her eyes...shouldn't they be glowing?"
        "I don't know." I realized. Grunckle Stan's eyes were glowing when Bill entered his mind...but Mabel's weren't. Is that different?
        "Your eyes were glowing when Bill took over your body." Lilac said, shaking Mabel again. Mabel lightly snored.
        "Could she just be sleeping?" I asked. Mabel's never done that before...but I wouldn't put it past her.
        "No, Bill is defiantly in there." Lilac said. "His aura is all over her head. It's a little hard to describe, but trust me."
I really wanted to yell at her. She was making me loose time, when we could be doing something about this. Instead she was questioning me and it was annoying. But then I remembered what the Author's loose page told me about being around Lilac.
        I had to be gentle. I had to be kind.
I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly.
        "Okay Lilac." I said. "So, do you think we should go in or no?"
        "If you think you can handle Bill by yourself, then go for it."
        "What, you won't even try?"
        "Dipper, I'm scared." Lilac said softly. I looked at her, remembering the first time I ever heard her say that to me.
        Dipper I'm scared. Back in those tunnels, her eyes were shut tight and her hands were shaking. I remembered I'd grabbed one and held it tightly. I looked at Lilac, with her soft face and long white hair. It was difficult to believe that she wasn't a kid, like me. She looked so innocent and beautiful, and worried. I grabbed her hand.
        "It'll be okay." I said, hoping I was reassuring her.
        "I don't want to hurt Mabel..." Lilac said, staring at her.
        "You won't." I said firmly. I placed Then I began the chant. "Videntus omnium. Magister mentium. Magnesium ad hominem. Magnum opus. Habeas corpus! Inceptus Nolanus overratus! Magister mentium! Magister mentium! MAGISTER MENTIUM!" Suddenly I was warped into Mabel's mind, just like that.