Chapter Twenty One

I sit on the window sill, looking off into the forest that surrounds this place. I do not know how long I have been here, how long it has been since my freedom has been stripped away from me. I watch the red, yellow, and many other colors of the leaves as they float down calmly from the trees.

I watch the birds fly away in their flocks. I watch the branches of the trees sway from the wind.

I watch. That's the only thing I can do, the only thing I have control of. But most of all, I watch as time slips through my fingers. And I let my thoughts drift off with the leaves. I let my thoughts fly away with the birds, make believing that I am not trapped- that I am free.

I have nothing to hope for now. Xander knows what I have been hiding, knows that I cannot fight back, he knows that I am weak, and most of all he knows that he broke me.

The maid that brings me food doesn't talk to me, she's scared to. I don't blame her, I would be scared too. Xander is powerful, very powerful. People only get power if you give it to them, and he took away the only thing that I had that was more powerful than him- my hope. Hope is stronger than fear. Everyday my hope has dwindled and my fear grew. He feeds off fear, craves it, lives off it.

I haven't seen Xander for three days, I want to say that those three days were my solitude- but they weren't. I cannot help but to look over my shoulder every couple minutes to make sure he has not snuck in. I still get the chills upon my neck, fearing that he is close enough to draw his breath upon me.

When I am not fearing him in person, I fear for him to return. But this will soon be over, not for me, but it will be over for him.

I used to be sheltered from the harshness of the world, I used to believe in happy endings, but I have come to realize that my life is not a fairytale.

The door creaks open, and my head snaps to it. A girl around the age of twenty holds a tray. She scurries into the room and places the tray on top of the chest at the foot of my bed. Her strawberry blonde hair is in a neat bun that rests on her neck. Her black uniform is the same as the other maid who brought me food this morning. I ponder on why I do not have the same maid as the previous days. But it's not like I can ask, for I don't have a voice here.

I sit on the window bench curiously looking at her. She walks swiftly over to the blankets on the floor nearest to me. Her shoulder brushes my arm and I flinch. She whispers something, barely audible to me as she brushes past.

"He's coming. Ten days."

She then hurriedly scoops up the covers and sheets and begins to walk past me. Before she can get past me I grab her wrist to stop her.

"Who?" I whisper, "Who's coming?"

"Him," She mumbles. Her brown eyes meet mine and then yanks her wrist away from me before I can even try to read her emotions. She walks a fast pace out of the room carrying my blankets and sheets. She slams the door behind her, locking it.

My curiosity grows. Who's coming, and why?

I stumble off the bench shaking my head to clear the thoughts. I walk over to my food. A grilled cheese and water. I sit on the floor, acting if the chest was a table. I pick up the grilled cheese and bite into it.

Something crunchy and hard inside the grilled cheese catches my attention. I take the grilled cheese out of my mouth and examine it. Then I spilt the bread. Inside was a piece of paper, cheese coating both sides. I use the napkin to wipe off whatever I could off the paper. The paper is lumpy for something is inside of it. I open the piece of paper and a key falls out onto my tray making a clank. The words on the paper catch my eyes and make my curiosity grow.

The piece of paper reads in cursive,

'He's coming'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTE & COMMENT
I am sorry for my short updates! I get writers block when I'm writing and don't know how to put my thoughts into words! I'll try to update more frequently due to my short chapters!
And I am sorry for the late update once again! I will try to update again soon! Keep reading for more secrets unfold! The next chapter is going to be a lot of action and really intense!

Thank you,

Amanda