Chapter 4

Birds chirping in the early morning woke Haruhi up. She opened her eyes and looked up at the ceiling, wondering what she was going to pack for America. She rolled onto her side and saw that Bunny was awake, doing exactly as Haruhi had been earlier. She looked over and met Haruhi's eye, her face expressionless. For a while, they said nothing, just looking at each other. They didn't need to say anything. Words weren't necessary in their friendship; they understood each other with a single glance, with an unspoken thought.

Ranka poked his head into the room. They turned to look at him at the same time with the same happy, yet sad expressions on their faces. He smiled softly at them before leaving to get a cup of coffee.

***

The trio was silent as they waited for Haruhi's plane to begin boarding, seated on one of the numerous rows of designated seats. Ranka hid behind a large pair on sunglasses and had covered his head with a bandana. Haruhi's flight left very early in the morning so he didn't have time to put on any make-up or mess with his hair. He lounged in sweatpants and a t-shirt. Haruhi had thrown on some baggy shorts and a baggy t-shirt. Bunny was stretched out on the seats, her legs partially covered with a pleated blue skirt and her top with a white cami-type shirt with inch-thick straps. Her head rested in Haruhi's lap, her blonde hair flowing over the edge of the chair.

Ranka looked at the two girls out the corner of his eye. Haruhi never had any siblings, and Bunny never had any sisters. Those two went together like peanut butter and jelly, as Bunny's father used to say. Ranka agreed with that statement. At times, the two girls were like night and day; Haruhi was quiet and thoughtful, and Bunny was very easily excited. They even looked like opposites, to a certain extent, like Bunny's long blonde hair and blue eyes verses Haruhi's short brown hair and brown eyes. Bunny almost always wore dresses and skirts and other feminine clothes, whereas Haruhi didn't really mind what she was wearing, just as long as it counted as clothing. But something between them had clicked, and instantly formed a bond that had withstood distance and time. Throughout all of their troubles in their own lives, they never hesitated to pick up a pen and write to the other.

Most girls wrote in diaries. Bunny and Haruhi wrote to each other.

Soon, they heard the announcement they'd been waiting for.

"I guess you'd better get going, kid," said Haruhi's dad, giving her a hug.

"Yeah, it would suck to miss the plane when we paid for the ticket already." It was Bunny's turn for a hug.

"I don't think it's too late to get it exchanged...." Haruhi laughed.

"This was your idea!" Bunny laughed too.

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry, go ahead. Daddy's expecting you." The two girls laughed, but then Haruhi face-palmed herself.

"Why did I think of Tamaki-senpai when you said that?"

"Speak of the devil," muttered Ranka, looking fairly unhappy. Haruhi and Bunny turned around and saw the entire Host Club, minus Kyoya, enter the airport. Honey, perched atop Mori's shoulders, appeared to be looking for Haruhi. He spotted her and the rest of her small group, shouted something they couldn't hear because of the distance, and pointed in their direction with Usa-chan. In the blink of an eye they were there. The extreme wind created by their sudden appearance caused Ranka's bandana to fly away and Bunny to force her skirt from flipping up. She turned pink as she did this.

"And he shall appear." Haruhi finished Ranka's statement as four of the boys glomped her. "Ugh, guys, get off. I have to go!" All but Tamaki did as she asked. "Senpai, please!"