Chapter 8

I fiddled with the buttons on my grey sweater nervously. Officer Lee’s hands rested on my thigh, giving a reassuring squeeze every now and then. 

“Ms.Greene?” A woman called. 

Officer Lee and I both stood up upon hearing my name. The woman smiled brightly at us. “Follow me.” She led us past a few sets of double doors and to a room. “You can have a seat. The doctor will be in shortly.” 

“Thank you.” Officer Lee said. 

The woman smiled before exiting the room, shutting the door behind her. 

I sat down on the small examining table while Officer Lee stood next to me. 

I stared up at him through my eyelashes. I felt a blush coming to my cheeks as I recalled last night. The feeling of his lips on mine had been replaying over and over in my mind since then. I wonder if he had forgotten all about it. 

Knock, Knock! My eyes looked over to the door as the doctor walked in. He shut the door behind him before walking over to me. “Good morning Ms.Greene. I am Dr.Bryant.” he said, smiling warmly. I stared at his bright green eyes. He reached forward and took my hand, bringing it to his lips. He kissed it lightly before releasing. I marveled at him. He appeared to be only in his late 20’s.

I blushed, looking away. 

The doctor turned to face Office Lee. He reached forward, shaking his hand firmly. “Good morning.” Officer Lee nodded his head politely. 

Dr.Bryant sat down on the small chair in the corner of the room next to a computer before focusing his attention back onto me. “So Ms.Greene… I understand that you are here for anxiety?” I nodded my head. He pulled a pen out of his shirt pocket and scribbled something down onto his piece of paper. “How many anxiety attacks have you had?” 

“Uhm…” 

“Two major ones, but there have probably been other less serious ones.” Officer Lee said for me. 

“Two?” I said. 

He nodded, “Yesterday and the day when you ran from that house crying.” 

“Oh.” Was it weird that he knew more about my health than I did? 

“What happened when you experienced these attacks?” Dr.Bryant asked. 

“Uh, I felt like I couldn’t breathe. The walls started closing in on me. It feels like everyone is looking at me. I start crying.”

“Do you feel nauseas?” 

“Yes.” 

“Do you feel any pain?” 

“No.” 

“Is it hard for you to calm down when you experience these attacks? Hard for you to catch you breathe?” I nod my head. “And during the time of these attacks, were you with someone?” 

“She was with me.” Officer Lee interjected. 

“What did you do when she was going through an attack?” 

“I made her breathe through a paper bag.” 

“Alright.” Dr.Bryant sighed. He plugged some things into his computer. “Well you don’t seem to have any sort of anxiety disorder, which is good. But I am going to prescribe you some medication. It’s a drug called Ativan. Seeing as you do not have severe anxiety, one pill every other day should be good for you. Or if you know that you are headed into a stressful situation where you may have an attack you can take a pill then.”