Chapter 10

A half an hour later we pulled into the parking lot of a small eating area called Jordan’s Family Restaurant. 

I waited patiently for Officer Lee to open my door. I held his hand as I clambered out of the car. 

We walked up the steps and into the diner. 

A short old woman greeted us warmly at the door. “Oh, Jett! It’s so good to see you!” she chirped as she engulfed him in a hug. Hmm, she must be a close friend. 

“You too, Kate.” He gave her a dull smile. 

“Who’s your friend?” The woman looked me up and down. 

“This is my friend Sian. Sian, this is a family friend of mine, Kate.” 

“Nice to meet you.” she said shaking my hand. 

“You too.” I replied. 

“You guys here for breakfast?” 

“Yes.” he said. 

The old woman grabbed two menus in her shaky hands. “Follow me.” 

I trailed behind her to a dark secluded area of the diner. She placed our menus down on the table of the booth in the farthest corner of the diner. I sat down on one side, Officer Lee on the other. 

“I’ll be right back.” She scurried away. 

I picked up my menu, surveying it. 

We sat in silence until the woman returned. 

“What do you guys want to drink?” 

“A glass of water.” I said. 

“Same for me.” he said. 

“Are ya’ll ready to order your food?” 

“Are you?” Officer Lee asked me. I nodded. 

“The usual for you, Jett?” 

“Yes.” He handed over his menu. 

The usual? “I’ll have the three stack of french toast with a side of bacon and eggs.” I handed over my menu. 

“Alright, I’ll be right back with your drinks.” I watched as she disappeared around the corner. 

“Do you come here a lot?” I asked. 

“Yes, they have excellent food.”