Chapter 26

I awoke the next morning, the sound of the shower running in the background.

My spirits were uplifted. The prospect of seeing Officer Lee today was enough to raise my normally dismal attitude to a somewhat excited state. 

I knew that this meeting today could end up putting myself in twice as much trouble as I've had to deal with lately. And for Officer Lee, there was no doubt his life would be in danger. 

The clock on the wall read 11:30. 

"Shit." I muttered. I would need to get dressed immediately. 

I rose from the bed quickly. I would search for a suitable outfit while I waited for Taylor to vacate the bathroom. 

In my very large closet, I actually had few clothes. The only things I owned were pieces that Taylor had bought for me, and all of it seemed too casual for the downtown restaurant that Officer Lee had named. 

I had only seen it in passing, but I knew the type of customers they served. I would not look like one of them if I strolled in wearing a pair of tights and a tank top. 

There was one black dress that I thought would look good. It was short, shorter than I would have liked.

I laid it on the bed just as I felt Taylor move behind me. 

"Getting ready for your day already?" His breath blew across my neck. 

I turned to face him. "Yes." 

His lips pressed against mine roughly. How much this kiss contrasted from those that I had received from Officer Lee just the night before. "I'll miss having you here, ready and waiting for me when I come home." What he meant to say was that he would miss having me locked down in this house where he could always access me easily.

"I need to shower now." I smiled weakly before quickly padding over to the bathroom. 

The steaming hot water felt heavenly against my skin. 

I washed my hair and body thoroughly. 

I stepped out of the shower, wrapping a fluffy white towel around my body. My hand wiped away the fog covering the mirror.

I surveyed myself. 

The cut above my eye was still clearly visible. The scrape on my chin was already forming an unpleasant scab. My cheek was even more bruised after Taylor's fit of rage the night before. It was tinted purple. My small amount of makeup would have to work wonders today. 

My hair had grown longer than its ever been before. It hung just past my shoulder blades.   I loved it like this. But Taylor hated it. He wished I would cut it. 

I emerged from the bathroom after blow drying my hair. 

Taylor was buttoning up his black shirt. For someone who didn't know him, the way he dressed would fool you into thinking he was a legitimate businessman. Besides the fact that his closet only consisted of black and white clothes, he always wore a button up, slacks, or sometimes black jeans, and a nice pair of shoes. If it was chilly he may even throw on a blazer. 

I wasn't completely impartial to Taylor's looks. He wasn't a bad looking man at all. Any women would have found him attractive and gladly taken him to bed. It was his line of business and his demeanor that made him ugly.