Chapter 27

My palms were sweating as I pulled the phone from my purse. I couldn't wait any longer to answer it. That would only make things worse. I attempted to steady my voice as I pressed the green button.

"Helllo?"

"Where. The. Fuck. Are. You."

I gulped. "Oh, Taylor. I'm downtown. W-why do you sound so angry?"

"I texted you ten times. I called you ten times. I thought you understood what I said, Sian. So why the fuck didn't you answer me?"

"I-I was just busy shopping. I was in the uh, dressing room. The phone was in my bag and I didn't hear it."

"Sian, I'm trying to be very calm right now."

"Taylor, I swear, tha..."

"Shut up and get your ass home, now." He hung up the phone.

I felt sick. I wished I could go back to Jett and take him up on his offer now. There was no telling what kind of storm I would be walking into at that house.

But I had to go. If I didn't, things would only be worse. And I wasn't risking Jett's life.

I drove at a steady pace, attempting to form a fool proof story that accounted for my time of shopping downtown. I needed a solid reason for why I was coming home with no bags and hickeys covering my neck. But, there was no lie for that.

I stopped at the first CVS I saw.

I raced down the makeup aisle, grabbing everything I saw that would help cover up the evidence of the encounter I had with Jett.

Once I had purchased everything I needed, I ran back over to the car.

Looking in the small mirror in the sun visor, I applied a generous amount of foundation and concealer. My neck looked fairly normal now. That didn't decrease my feelings of dread at the prospect of having to return  to that house.

But I knew Taylor was expecting me and I couldn't take any longer.

A few minutes later I was pulling up outside the gang house.

I wiped my sweaty palms on my dress before I climbed out.

Someone was there to open the door for me, and I stepped inside.

The living room was filled with gang members, and every pair of eyes latched onto me. I caught every single menacing glare. I was glad that I couldn't read their thoughts at this moment.

"Taylor's upstairs." A tall girl said to me from the couch.

"Is he angry with me?" My question was only rewarded with their smirks.

I walked up the stairs slowly and calmly.

I opened the door to the bedroom and quietly shut it behind me.

Taylor was in the same clothes from earlier. He was staring out of the window. I noticed the drink in his left hand.

"I'm back." I tried to sound cheerful.

"What did you buy?" His head never turned away from the window.

"Y-you called me and told me to come back home, so I actually didn't get a chance to buy anything."

"Why didn't you answer my calls, Sian?"

"I told you, Taylor. The phone was in my bag while I was in the dressing room. I didn't hear it ring."